• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Major news story

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
What's the first major news story of your life that you remember?

For me, the first two are the O.J Simpson case, and Princess Diana car crash.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
The first time I even cared that much about the news was in 2010 when the huge oil spill happened in the Gulf of Mexico and those 4 Russian spy families got arrested. It was those 2 epic events that got me all over watching and reading news.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Thought this thread was about me. Haha

I very vaguely remember the space shuttle Challenger disaster. I was probably too young to know what actually happened, but I definitely remember seeing pictures of it in magazines.

After that, probably the first Gulf War.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
I honestly don't remember but the one that caught my attention the earliest was the Gulf War as I was 10 years old at the time.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
The one I vividly remember as a 9 year old is the death of Princess Diana because it was covered so extensively in the media.

Other than that, I'd probably say 9/11 but I'm not sure if it counts since I was like 13 when that happened. It was certainly wasn't the first news story or major world event to catch my attention but it was definitely the biggest by far.

thealigator

Registered Member
Despite being in college at the time and therefore having seen a lot of news my immediate answer has to be September the Eleventh. I remember I was on my way back to class from lunch and someone I knew came up to me and said "are you ready for world war three?". I had no idea what he was talking about. Being on a media course almost every class we were in had TVs and the whole of our class just sat on our desks none of saying anything until our teacher came in, told us that classes were cancelled and we were to go home to watch the news and we were to discuss it the next day.

I think the thing with 9/11 for me and for a lot of people in their 20s was the previous wars were out of our mind-sets but being old enough to understand what was going on and to be able to take it in made it different. No-one knew what was going on, no-one knew what to say and it changed an awful lot including The Financial Times in an odd way.