Major Climate Report Describes a Strong Risk of Crisis as Early as 2040

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Major Climate Report Describes a Strong Risk of Crisis as Early as 2040

The authors found that if greenhouse gas emissions continue at the current rate, the atmosphere will warm up by as much as 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit (1.5 degrees Celsius) above preindustrial levels by 2040, inundating coastlines and intensifying droughts and poverty. Previous work had focused on estimating the damage if average temperatures were to rise by a larger number, 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit (2 degrees Celsius), because that was the threshold scientists previously considered for the most severe effects of climate change.

The new report, however, shows that many of those effects will come much sooner, at the 2.7-degree mark.

Avoiding the most serious damage requires transforming the world economy within just a few years, said the authors, who estimate that the damage would come at a cost of $54 trillion. But while they conclude that it is technically possible to achieve the rapid changes required to avoid 2.7 degrees of warming, they concede that it may be politically unlikely.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I think any man made climte change is pretty minimal.

The earth (according to scientifically verified geological history) has experienced major periods of heat and ice ages in the past without any input at all from humans. How did that climate change? I think the climate changes on its own and goes through a cycle that lasts many years.

Old estimates said the ice caps would be gone by now. Not only are they not gone, they aren’t even shrinking.

When I see stories like this I always wonder if there’s some type of political agenda behind it. The UN has been overreaching it’s authority for a long time in certain regards.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
There is also Sun cycle coming around the same time called the Maunder Minimum. The last time it happened was around 1700 and it produced a mini ice age. There are paintings and reports of the Thames River frozen over.
So if this report from UN is correct then a temperature rise may come at the exact moment that the Sun puts us into a mini ice age.
Personally I think the UN report is politicized and things aren't that dire, however a little warming from CO2 would be a good thing when the minimum cycle starts.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
The way I look at this is pretty much like you, guys: a matter of a minority of people trying to scare the majority of people into subscribing to their cause. This is something that's been getting on my nerves for so long, especially when it comes to the environment and climate change.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Let's say it actually plays out like the UN report says and also the sun cycle has no effect on cooling.
In the book freakonomics, Levitt goes over a plan to create a smoke chimney in the Canadian tar pits that would put burned shale high into the atmosphere. Basically creating a man made volcano. Using this for a 100 million or less you could cool the globe easily.
So in this fictional future reality we have 2 choices. The first is from the UN and it requires 50 trillion dollars. This would be the end of capitalism as we know it. The entire world would need to make great contributions to implement it. The second choice cost less than a 747 and could be deployed very rapidly.
I think I'll take #2.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I really don't trust the UN. I have to question their motives when it comes to stuff like this. Is this just a way to get us back in the Paris climate agreement?

Earths climate has been forever changing and will do so in the future, been much hotter and colder in the past. I'm not sure man is going to have a lot of control over that.