• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MAJOR Changes Coming to TNA?

wooly

I am the woolrus
From Rajah.com, Source: Wrestling Observer
We've posted a few news items about this in the past week but this story is really being talked about behind the scenes in TNA - so it deserves a closer look. Spike TV and TNA Wretling officials have had extensive talks in recent weeks about bringing sweeping changes to TNA. When we major changes - we're talking everything - from the company name to the talent roster to the company's entire identity.

Some have suggested that Dixie Carter's mother Janice has stepped in and finally put her foot down regarding TNA's lack of growth or direction. TNA has been spending millions and millions of dollars in recent years establishing the company as a "WWE lite" sports entertainment company. They've signed Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, RVD, Jeff Hardy, Mr. Anderson and plenty more WWE castoffs with little-to-no return on their money.It's been suggested that TNA drastically cut its budget, release most of the expensive top-tier talent and run a promotion that focuses on younger, smaller performers - which would finally give the company an identity that's completely different from WWE.

TNA changing its name has been suggested for years, but Dixie Carter has always been against it because they have spent so many years and so much money getting the TNA name out there. There has been talk about a new ad campaign that would put a heavy emphasis on the word "impact" .. Impact Wrestling Federation, anyone?
This sounds like a godsend!! Thank you Janice Carter! :D

I hope that this does come to fruition. Since Dixie started constantly bringing in ex-(and often washed up)-WWE guys, TNA really has been "WWE Lite". It sounds like they want to bring it back to what it was originally. A new type of wrestling, an alternative to WWE. Maybe a place where workers from ROH, PWG, Dragon Gate USA and maybe even wrestlers from Japan can shine on TV.

I'm all for the name change aswell. TNA's name has been dragged through the dirt in recent times. Most casual wrestling fans still haven't heard of it, and then i'd say the majority of the IWC sees TNA as a running joke at this point.

If TNA is completely rebranded and repackaged, what would you guys like to see done with the company?

Last edited:

viLky

ykLiv
I want to see the six-sided ring brought back, I thought it was innovative and different from the WWE. I would also like to see that same ring increase in size. The six-sided ring looked too small, it didn't look like it could hold more than four people at a time.

I would also like to see some of Eric Bischoff's ideas added such as: Roulette, PPV name changes, ect...

Another thing that would get me to watch more is for TNA to STOP having people turn on their tag team/stable/friend/wife every week. JUST STOP! It seems to happen way too often in TNA, and not enough time to have them just coast.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I like the idea of a large scale rebranding, but changing the name is too much.

Regardless, I would like to see the 6 sides return and to see more original stories and more variation from the WWE-lite formula. It is hard to name specific items to change, but they are there!

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I am all for it, and may God bless Janice. TNA's roster is nothing but a bunch of has beens that used to work for the WWE. When TNA started it was cool and it was fresh, and now it is old and boring like a bingo hall.

wooly

I am the woolrus
Funny, getting rid of the six sided ring is probably the best thing Hogan and Bischoff ever did in my opinion! I HATED that thing :p

I would also like to see some of Eric Bischoff's ideas added such as: Roulette, PPV name changes, ect...

Another thing that would get me to watch more is for TNA to STOP having people turn on their tag team/stable/friend/wife every week. JUST STOP! It seems to happen way too often in TNA, and not enough time to have them just coast.
I assumed that Bischoff is one of the expensive, older, top-tier talent that they'll be getting rid of! I doubt they're gonna keep paying Hogan anyways if they're serious about cutting costs and promoting young talent, and if they give Hogan the boot i assume Bischoff is gone with him.

As for the writing and the ridiculous face/heel turns every goddamn week, i couldn't agree more. Vince Russo is still head writer, joined by Ed Ferrara, and pretty much everything they do stinks of WCW. They're constantly trying to confuse and "put one over" on the fans. I think it's crazy how they haven't learned from the past. Personally, i think they should clear out everything WCW related in TNA. It's people like Hogan, Bischoff, Russo, Ferrara, and even Jarrett to a certain extent who are bringing down TNA. They're stuck in the past and they have NO idea what the fans want.

The thing TNA need most is a new head booker. Someone who's never been head booker for a major company before, who'll bring fresh ideas. They dropped the ball when they failed to get Gabe Sapolsky after he left ROH, there's no chance of getting him now. What they need is someone who knows TNA well, like how it is with Delirious in ROH now. He knows the company in and out, as he's one of the head trainers, and he's doing a fantastic job booking. Whenever i try think of someone the person i keep coming back to is Raven. He's never been head booker, but just from his commentaries on wrestling i think he'd be fantastic. He's got a real intelligent, creative mind. i think he said he was open to booking for a promotion in the past, and he'd know all the young talent in the company. Just one possible man for the job.

Oh, and one thing they'd HAVE to do in my opinion: Turn the Knockouts back into wrestlers. The Knockouts division used to have some real good quality wrestling and it was awesome, also definitely differentiated them from WWE. I'd love to see TNA have a working relationship with SHIMMER if possible. They have an awesome all female roster.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Looks like this stupid name change is going to happen:

"No TNA. only IMPACT. HH" - Hulk Hogan's Twitter

I wish it would be at least something Impact Wrestling Federation...blah. Just WWE and now Just Impact? What the hell, wrestling. What the hell.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I've heard that the show itself will be called "Impact Wrestling", but the company will still be referred to publicly as TNA?

Hard to understand right now.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I don't really care about TNA anymore.
Yeahhh thanks for contributing to the topic, buddy. :lol:

I've heard that the show itself will be called "Impact Wrestling", but the company will still be referred to publicly as TNA?

Hard to understand right now.
Yeah it's probably too early to tell. If they ditch TNA as the company name, I'd be ok with Impact Wrestling (but I'd prefer Federation or something, haha).

The way that Hulk had commented in his tweet, it almost sounds like they're ditching the TNA altogether. We'll find out, I guess.