Main eventers as tag champions

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Millz, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

Sooo Cena and Batista won the World Tag Titles over Rhodes and DiBiase tonight. That is one of my biggest pet peeves. I dont agree putting those titles on main eventers elevates the prestige of the belts. In fact, I think it makes them look weak because those guys dont care about them and they are always an afterthought.

Cena and HBK were champions, I remember Austin and HBK, Austin and Taker etc etc...hated it, hated it, hated it.

Anybody agree or disagree?

2. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I disagree. The tag team titles should be on the best possible tag team and sometimes that could be main eventers. As long as they stay active in the tag team division and can still manage to main event from time to time I have no problem with it. It's when they just hold onto the titles and compete in singles or don't use the titles in an angle that I don't feel they should hold the titles.

3. Atreyu

Atreyu #2 New Zealander

I agree, Main eventers with Tag titles generally don't compete much in the tag division and treat the title like Jeff hardy did with the IC title.

4. Millz

You've mentioned the problem of doing it though. They never do defend the titles and most of the time HBK and Cena didnt even bring the belts to the ring.

If Cena and Batista like, defend em, I'll be happy. I'm just not counting on it.

5. viLky

viLky ykLiv

As soon as I heard this it reminded me of MVP & Matt Hardy when they won the belts during their feud. I'm not a fan of it because it seems like it'll screw up the SummerSlam event and build-up between the two. It's like "Oh, I have the belt, should I go out and attack him or help him out? WE ARE tag team champs... Hmm!" sort of thing instead of a good ol' fashion built-up to a good PPV.

6. Millz

And like Atreyu said its been done before time and time again and never did a damn thing to elevate the belts.

I thought MVP and Hardy were good together...they arent main eventing right now...or they werent then. It helped further a storyline and they defended the belts. This, I think, its entirely different.

7. Doc

I guess my feelings are just wishful thinking, then. Main eventers with the titles should be held to higher standards with the belts. I'd like to see it go as far as them defending the titles in a main event.

8. Millz

Understand what you're saying. I just thought Rhodes and DiBiase were just getting started and to pull the plug on them so fast like that really pisses me off. I hate the fact Cena and Batista are wasting their big encounter at Summerslam and now this. They dont need these belts. I hope they defend them...I just dont see them being a huge priority.

9. Doc

I really hope they don't break up Rhodes and DiBiase. I think they have the charisma and ring talent to compete for the titles again. Hopefully WWE plays this one right and doesn't put the tag titles on the side this time around.

10. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Same. That's the one thing I'm always worried about when the tag team champs lose their title, will they break up or feud with each other now? I hope this isn't the case.