Magnetic Fluid (ferro fluid)

Yeah, I had no idea what it was either until I saw this video:

YouTube - How to make Magnetic Fluid (ferro fluid)
That's so awesome.

With my mind being so engulfed with video games the first thought I had was that the liquid looked like some sort of boss creature from a game, or some spikey enemy from Kirby. That, and Terminator 2's T-1000 popped into my mind.

Q: Why does it form into spikes? That's weird. o_O;

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That is pretty cool! I'm actually running around the office looking for boxes of old toner right now. Currently I've found two and gotten quite a bit.... hehehehe now I just need to find some Oil. I know we have olive oil...I wonder if that'll work?

R1pperZ

Registered Member
That is the sickest thing I've ever seen, my mind is just spinning with the possibilities... You could make magnetic paint and paint without ever touching the surface.

I think the magnetic field of the magnet creates spikes since magnetic fields swirl in and out of the magnetic source so the creases are being pulled in and the spiked are being pushed out.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Really cool. Considering how expensive toner is though I don't think I'll be trying this myself. Seems like there's not much you can do with it besides make liquid spikes anyway.

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
So cool! That would amuse me for a very long time.
Same here. I might have to try it at work the next time the boss is away. I'm pretty sure we have most of those things in the office or workshop somewhere.