Magic Sign Reddick

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Xero.Shab, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Xero.Shab

Xero.Shab Guest

Orlando, FL – The Orlando Magic have signed guard J.J. Redick, General Manager Otis Smith announced today. Per team policy, terms of the deal are not disclosed. Redick was selected in the first round (11th overall) of the 2006 NBA Draft.

Redick (6’4â€Â, 190, 6/24/84) is one of 23 players named to the 2006-08 USA Men’s Senior National Team program, which begins training on July 19 in Las Vegas. He is the all-time leading scorer in both Duke University and Atlantic Coast Conference history with 2,769 points (16th in NCAA history). Redick played four seasons at Duke, averaging 19.9 ppg., 2.7 rpg., 2.2 apg. and 1.09 stlpg. in 139 career games. He shot .406 (457-of-1,126) from three-point range and .912 (662-of-726) from the free throw line.

Redick was named Wooden, Naismith and Associated Press Player of the Year following his senior season in 2005-06. He set an NCAA record for career three-pointers made (457) and finished second in NCAA history in free throw percentage (.912). Redick was named ACC Player of the Year and First Team All-America for the second straight season, after averaging 26.8 ppg. and shooting .421 (139-of-330) from three-point range. He also earned ACC Tournament MVP for the second straight time.

As a junior (2004-05), Redick averaged 21.8 ppg. He was named Rupp National Player of the Year and ACC Player of the Year, and also earned ACC Tournament MVP honors. Redick led the ACC in scoring, free throw percentage (.938), minutes played (37.3 minpg.) and three-point field goals per game (3.7). He led Duke and was ninth in the ACC with a .403 (121-of-300) from three-point land.

During his sophomore campaign (2003-04), Redick was named All-ACC First Team after leading the Blue Devils in scoring (15.9 ppg.) and three-point field goals made (102). He led the ACC and ranked second in the nation with a .953 (143-of-150) free throw percentage. Redick became only the fifth player in Duke history (22nd in ACC history) to reach 1,000 career points.

As a freshman (2002-03), Redick was named to the All-ACC Third Team and All-ACC Freshman Team. He averaged 15.0 ppg., the fourth-highest by a Duke freshman. Redick led the Blue Devils in free throw percentage (.919, 5th in NCAA), three-point field goals made (95) and attempted (238).

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/Magic_Sign_First_Round_Pick_J-184013-800.html

2. Fresh

Fresh Aw, Here It Goes!

He was Co-Player of the year with Adam Morrision and second in the Country in scoring yet he wasn't even one of the Top 5 players drafted. But I think with DeShawn Stevenson possibly leaving Orlando J.J. Redick will start and have a good impact on the team.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

He wasn't top 5 pick in the draft because he's only a one demensional player. He's probably going to be one of the best shooter in the NBA this year but people will ajust to his style of play and it's going to be hard for him to ajust to that. But I am sure he'll do fine.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

ESPN - The Orlando Magic are holding guard J.J. Redick out of summer league play because of a back injury, the Associated Press is reporting.

Redick repeatedly has said he's not bothered by the herniated disc in his back, an injury announced just before the Magic took him No. 11 overall in the NBA draft. He received a cortisone shot about a month ago and said he won't need surgery.

"I feel I could be out there, but we had to decide if it was worth the risk and not take the chance," he said.

General manager Otis Smith said Friday the club was holding him out as a precaution because Redick hasn't played full speed in four weeks.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41389/20060708/magic_hold_redick_out_of_summer_games_as_precaution/

5. Fresh

Fresh Aw, Here It Goes!

"Back Injury"...Well I hope he gets better soon, but didn't he have this back problem in college, i'm really looking foward to seening him play. Thankfully were are in the offseason so he wont miss any games for now.