• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PlayStation 3 MAG by Zipper Interactive

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Playing SOCOM today and asking around about what some people thought of the game and the fact that Slant Six was on it instead of Zipper which led me to the info that enlightened me to this Ginormous game that I'm now drooling over:

The first next-generation game for Zipper Interactive (creators of the online phenomenon SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs), MAG offers a sweeping battle experience for a total of 256 players online. Eight player squads combine together to form a tactical military experience like no other.

YouTube - Zipper Interactive's MAG PS3 EXCLUSIVE

MAG will include a variety of in-game features that will offer much in the way of long-term gameplay, such as the command system that will allow players higher on the in-game pecking order to alter their units to reflect the current battlefield objectives. Character growth will also be included in the game, though it was not explained how exactly it will work, and perpetual campaigns will likely keep players coming back. The game will also give players of MAG the opportunity to stage attacks in a variety of ways, from helicopter-based attacks to air drops and even the traditional front-line assault.

It’s clear that the scope Zipper Interactive is planning for MAG is epic, and the trailer looks fantastic (albeit wholly pre-rendered), but it remains to be seen how the infrastructure needed to support 256 players and a next-gen graphical system will work when finally released to the public. Still, this is a very exciting project, and we here at TGR will be keeping a watch for any further updates on MAG as its development cycle continues.

Zipper Interactive Unveils MAG - PS3 News from The Game Reviews

Damo

Registered Member
I saw this earlier this year, I can't wait for it, it looks fantastic and it looks like Sony is leading the next generation with their PS3 console. Its a good time to be a PS3 owner haha.

Xeilo

V.I.P.
Wow that looks insane, cant wait for that either! So glad I bought a PS3 now :D

Damo

Registered Member
I hope it isn't like Battlefield Bad Company where all the servers are US Based though, maybe they'll let some ISPs host dedicated servers or something, a game supporting this many players would have to be hosted by a dedicated server.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Been a While since I updated this one. Now we have some more Concrete info on it.

per IGN:

The year is 2025. The optimism and harmony of the 2010s were completely eradicated by 2020. A global crisis loomed. Food shortages sparked riots, currencies plummeted, fuel reserves dwindled, and oil-producing nations began to ration what remained. It is a dark future. Governments earmarked money for humanitarian efforts, overseas security, and intelligence services which, over time, found its way the coffers of a small group of Private Military Companies. These three private armies (Valor, Raven, and S.V.E.R.) then began to recruit aggressively. Soldiers without a country, the contractors fight wars that never happened. This is the nature of the Shadow War.

From the award-winning developer, Zipper Interactive, comes the next evolution in gaming -- MAG. A first-person, online-only shooter, MAG lets you experience battles with up to 256 real people across a global battlefield. Players join one of three PMCs fighting each other in a shadow war and can either become skilled operatives or rank up to eventually command their private army to victory. Featuring unprecedented online action of a scale never before devised with player controlled strategic assets such as calling in air strikes, mortar barrages and parachute insertions; the persistent Shadow War in MAG keeps players coming back for more.
IGN: MAG
The release date is set for December 31, 2009. Hopefully it sticks! And now the update from E3-2009
IGN: E3 2009: Sony Booth Report

As Jack Tretton mentioned in Sony's E3 Media Briefing, Sony is pushing its free-to-use PlayStation Network as a service to woo hardcore gamers. Wide banks of monitors with MAG and Uncharted 2's competitive multiplayer were at the literal center of Sony's booth.

It's hard to fully absorb how much is going on in MAG, with its support for 256 players on a battlefield in the not-too-distant future. It's always difficult to appreciate the full nuance of any online shooter in a short demo, but one with as much simultaneous action as MAG has the potential to offer a lot to fans of the genre. Warhawk has shown there are a lot of hungry shooter fans with PS3's and MAG looks like a good attempt to build on that base with go-for-broke scale. Will that scale be enough to standout after Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead? I think it probably will.
The first Look + Hands on via April 29, 2009

IGN: MAG Preview

When you first boot up MAG, you're going to need to enlist with a squadron. See, in this world, we're 20 years in the future and the planet's dwindling fuel reserves have made fighting outside of your own borders a feat most countries can't afford. With that, the fighting around the globe is left to three private armies that are always jockeying for position as the number one unit. Raven is filled with high-tech gear and sleek black outfits featuring molded plastic armor; Valor is the camo-wearin' crew you'd think of if a bunch of Army grunts splintered off and formed their own group; and SVER is comprised of soldiers who find hunks of scrap metal and make it into part of their armor. Each of these crews has a very specific color palette assigned to them so that when you see a purple and black base, you know you've run into Raven territory, and when you're behind a machine gun that's spray painted all kinds of crazy colors, you know that you're playing as a member of SVER. Every mission you go into in MAG is a contract you've been given by a government; if you suck, governments will start giving their contracts to the other team.

When you've picked your allegiance, you're HUD and menu screens are tricked out to represent your squad, and you become a part of the Shadow War. Now, what's interesting about this battle is that it is ongoing. Even when you're not playing, other people are and your faction could be losing or gaining ground in this never-ending conflict. When you are playing, there's going to be a hierarchy on the battlefield, and you'll need to know because everything that's happening out there -- every explosion, every plane that flies over your head, every command you receive -- is happening because of something a player did; nothing is pre-determined effect thrown in for the hell of it. When you hear an explosion in the distance, that's happening because someone somewhere just blew something up.
All I have to say is... my $70 bucks is sitting calmly in its place waiting to be spent on this sucker. MAG looks to me like its going to be flat..... out.... awesome.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Gonna Bump this because we're starting to get closer to the Release Date and more MAG talk is abrew.

maik I heard you got your hands on a beta? How was it?

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
Nah, he said his friend got it, but I REALLY cannot wait to try it out. I will jump to the nearest gamestop ASAP to pick the codes up

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'm gonna do this Beta because I really wanna see if my internet at home will even push the game itself. I'm a little afraid that my Country Bumpkin DSL just wont be strong enough for the Massive Action :hah:

just got the Code for my account. I'll be redeeming it later tonight ;)