• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Macs VS pcs

Blur

iPimp
http://yocum.org/video/bitch.mpg

...lmao

well as you could guess, im for pc. love how much you can customize, im familiar with it, everythings compatable, just love it. mac, well i feel like that video. lol

P

pasteycracker

bah, that video is a load of crap. Of course with the success of Apple's switch videos people are going to try to make ones talking about how the mac os is just oh-so-difficult.

Most of those problems were ones that only happened in versions of the Mac OS 9 and prior. I've been running OS X for years and I've never any problems. I'm not trying to sway someone to use an apple computer, I'm just trying to bring some clarity here. I've also been using PCs for a long time as well and I'd have to say that I enjoy using my mac more than my pcs.

It's all about using what you are comfortable with using. :]

Blur

iPimp
i know mac isnt the crap people make it to be lol. i jus thought that vid was funny and just so happen to also prefer PCs :)

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Macs are crap. Hell, every Apple product I've owned sucks, even my iPod. PCs all the way!

T

|TG|Acid

I've got a few macs and they are great for some things, even mac games, but PC's are only good for gaming.

Ã

Æshættr

I've seen that before. I also don't know what people are talking about when they say they have trouble with their PC. I never have trouble unless it's a hardware issue. I seriously can't recall the last time my computer crashed because of a fault in the OS (unstable games are the fault of the developer, not the OS). And honestly, I like my right click context menu instead of having to go all the way to the top of the screen to get to it. Besides, I'm a gamer. What am I supposed to use?

One thing that bugged me the other day was when I was in the CS club room at school and this guy was emulating Windows XP on a mac laptop. He was going on about how it was running so fast and that it "runs windows better than windows does". When the guy next to him asked how old the laptop was, the mac user responds "two days". Hello! You're using a two-day-old computer, is it any surprise that it's running windows faster than you've ever seen it run? Honestly.

P

pasteycracker

Well I know the new macs use intel duo core chips and you're able to partition your hard drive to run windows. Unless it's one of those, his only option is to use VPC (virtual PC) which was an emulator to run operating systems that ran on x86 machines. I used it for a while when I took a class that required some PC specific software, and it did the job, but jesus christ it wasn't that fast at all.

I found one of my old PC's and I made the pc a VNC server and controlled it through my iMac which worked really good. I think that made the second part of the class more bearable... plus I didn't have to use up my hard drive space on my iMac. :D

I did hear that in the new installment of OS X (10.5), they're going to add in features with the machines with the intel chips to run windows programs natively, so you won't have to switch to a different OS to load a program. I'd love to drop the money on one of those machines.... being poor sucks ass. :p

Ã

Æshættr

Yeah, it was using a duo. A top of the line laptop with two gigs of ram and everything. Point being, would you expect it to run slowly on hardware like that? And even if you do go with the whole option of getting a mac and running windows/mac on it, why would you want to pay for two operating systems? Of course if this door swings one way, it should be able to go the other as well. Since Mac is using the same hardware a Windows user should be able to partition and dual-boot Mac OSX. I honestly don't see the point in switching and paying double for operating systems, though.

P

pasteycracker

I do see what you mean about that kid. He must have shelled out a pretty effing penny for that laptop... lucky bastard.

as for buying a second operating system... I know ton of people who still own a copy of windows XP that they bought with their old PCs. A few years after they got XP they switched to OS X... so that could be one scenario.

Personally, if I had one of the new apple compuers I still probably not run windows. I keep myself occupied enough on OS X as it is, and like you, I don't see the point of buying a second operating system. But the cool thing about it is that it gives mac users an option to do it if they need to run windows software for a job or for school or if they have some PC games they want to play. I'm having to buy a new laptop soon and I'm considering one even though the college I'm going to is telling students to get a PC.

As for getting OS X working on a PC... I'm going to have to look into that. I heard that there was a way to get it running on a normal PC, however when I read up on the topic it was very illegal at the time... like that has stopped anyone.. lol

I

IntheNet

Part of my Tax Return check will go for this: http://www.apple.com/macbook/design.html
(The black one/13" monitor/2.0GHz Intel Core Duo) For the last six years I have used an Apple Mac G3 Powerbook, Wallstreet/Mainstreet, one of the most durable computers I have ever seen and used... I would never use a sissified PC with Gate's incredibly buggy and virus prone software...However, even if I had to use such a crappy OS as Windows, I could run in on my new Mac!!!

=> Switch