• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Machu Picchu tourists keep your cloths on.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Peru has increased surveillance at popular archeological sites to counter a new trend of tourists taking nude photos at Machu Picchu.

Peru tells Machu Picchu tourists to keep their clothes on | The Raw Story
If you are going to visit these historical sites I think you should show a little respect and keep your cloths on. Others are on vacation there too and some have their families including children with them.

Which this isn't the worst thing that is going on they are also spray painting graffiti on the walls of Machu Picchu. That I really wish they wouldn't do. Defacing a historical site like that is really low and ruins it for others that might want to vacation there.

If Americans, or anyone, vacationing there please act like you have a brain when you visit these places you make the rest of us look bad. I think these places should be treated with the utmost respect. I would never do something like this.

How do you act when visiting historical places either in your own country or foreign countries? What do you think about the nude photo's and graffiti? Would it ruin your vacation if you had to look at the graffiti or someone trying to get a nude photo?

Taliesin

Registered Member
I think doing things like taking nude photos at a historical site is incredibly tacky and... well, egocentric. "Here's something that's been standing here centuries longer than I have and... oh, but look at ME." Honestly, try a little humility once in a while. It might do you some good.

And graffiti on a historical site is actually the same thing as taking nude photos to me. Again, it's about the person's own ego rather than the significance of the place they're in. It represents a real lack of ability to see outside of themselves for more than two seconds to take in something that has a larger context than they do.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I really think this is just the society we live in these days, people are so obsessed with "selfies" etc that really this is probably the next thing in line, in fact I am sure there are already website that people upload these images to at the moment looking for "the best" photos.

brikaben

Registered Member
There are certain places where it is perfectly OK to get naked and a historical site is NOT one of those places.

It shows little/no respect, why bother visiting a historical site if you are just going to disrespect it in this way.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Damn. There goes Machu Picchu off my list of places to visit. There really is no point if I can't get the nude picture to prove it. :rolleyes:

In all honesty, the nude pics don't bother me so much. As long as the site isn't harmed or damaged, which I don't really see people being naked doing. The graffiti is disgusting though. That leaves either a permanent mark, or when it's removed, it damaged the site. I have an issue with people being that inconsiderate to do that to a historical site.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
What really gets me is the graffiti. This place is thousands of years old and some moron decides its a good idea to vandalize the place. If your vacationing there that is going to ruin things for you worse than the nudity, which they should be doing but at least they aren't defacing the place. Might upset you if you have your kids with you.

Maybe since they installed cameras they will catch some of these people and then they will learn to have a little respect for the place or its going to cost them money or jail time.

Taliesin

Registered Member
The nudity upsets me because I'm a prude who's not getting any. (Come on, you all were thinking it!) :D

Okay, joking aside, I do take Idi's and Hi's point. At least a nude pic isn't defacing something of historical significance, whereas graffiti is. So, yeah, they're really not the same thing at all I suppose. And I guess some folks would find it a bit of a thrill to take naughty snapshots somewhere different, which is mostly harmless. Mostly. :rolleyes:

Graffiti, however, should not be tolerated. That's not something that can be removed easily (if at all), and should be actively discouraged. As far as I'm concerned, graffiti's days are numbered. The writing's on the wall, if you will. (Okay, I couldn't resist.) :p

Last edited:

Clare

Registered Member
Completely agree with Idi here.

I can understand how the nude thing might make some people uncomfortable, but it doesn't bother me too much. It wouldn't ruin my holiday to see someone taking a nude photo, haha.

I have to wonder what kind of person would graffiti a historical landmark though. I don't get it.