Mac vs. PC (Let's do this)

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Alright, Cons' recent Mac vs PC blog made me in the mood to do some Mac vs PC debating.

What are the pros and cons of each and why do you think one is better than the other in the end? (Or do you think they are equal?)

Pros of PC:

1. More widely used, much easier to get support and new hardware upgrades.
2. Millions of programs developed by third party developers.
3. The third party aspect in general. You can pretty much get anything for a PC and build a PC any way you want.

Cons of PC:

1. People normally use the "buggy" argument here. Try Windows 7. I haven't noticed a single problem yet.
2. They don't run Mac specific software. (Although I've even seen YouTube videos of people getting OSX 10.5 running on PC's now so hey...)

I guess those really weren't cons at all. :D

Pros of Mac:

1. They have some mac specific software that is apparently very popular.

Cons of Mac:

1. Pretty much the opposite of everything listed under the pros of PC. Buying a Mac is like buying a Nintendo Wii (or any console for that matter). As long as you are fine living in Mac world you are ok. (Especially if you go with an all in one setup like the iMac).

Let the debate begin. I do realize we've had this thread before but I think it makes sense to start a new one since technology has changed a lot recently, especially with Windows now supporting 64 bit on a very wide scale. Mac users used to say all the time that "Macs are so much faster". Well not anymore. :nod:

Last edited:

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I think that a lot of people who hate PC and like mac forget to realize that Mac does everything in 64 bit and most PCs are in 32 bit, when you get the 64 bit version of any version of windows, it's over twice as fast for the hardware (at least twice as fast as 32 bit) and it's much more stable.

That's really the only difference between macs and PCs that makes one better than the other, a lot of people don't understand that. The rest of it depends on what you will be doing on your computer.

I myself use Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, absolutely flawless, never had one single problem with anything in the 6 months I've had it, this might be the best OS ever made (either this or windows 95 :lol:)

Now I don't use macs, but I see no reason to spend extra money to get a computer that does exactly what my computer already does at the same level.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I've always thought that macs were better for multimedia stuff. Like creating music, videos etc. And image editing etc. Where as, PC is better for gaming and office work, simply because of the better compatability with everything since there's all the third party stuff.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've always thought that macs were better for multimedia stuff. Like creating music, videos etc. And image editing etc. Where as, PC is better for gaming and office work, simply because of the better compatability with everything since there's all the third party stuff.
Well they definitely were up until this year. Image, music and video software worked a lot better on Macs because of the 64 bit aspect. The programs simply ran better. Interestingly enough though, Photoshop for the Mac wasn't 64 bit until this year. So part of it might have just been due to companies starting off with Macs for such work.

Now that Windows 7 is making 64 bit much more widespread in the PC world the multimedia advantage of Macs is going to go away. For example, 3D animation and Hollywood special effects are done almost primarily on PC's. That's how it's always been though.

Last edited:
Ha, first post in quite some time - what better thread to post in than a Mac vs PC one?

I have been a Mac user for most of my life - prior to that it was the Apple II and an old DOS computer. However, I also have quite a bit of experience working with Windows (especially now as I am tech support for a Windows based software package).

For me, the biggest draw to the Mac side of things has always been the mantra of "it just works." For the most part, Apple tries to adhere to this philosophy throughout the OS and their own applications and peripherals/devices. More often than not, things just "work" with very little configuration. There isn't even a real "registry" on the Mac, the closest you get is the preferences folder. Installing an application? More often than not on the Mac it's simply "drag and drop". Don't need an application anymore? Just drag it to the trash. The downside to that, however, is that you're still left with a few "crumbs" (mostly preference files in the previously mentioned folder) but that hardly amounts to anything at the end of the day.

The other big draw for me has been stability. The Mac I use now has been running for almost 5 years now. A few bumps in the road? Naturally - especially since I like to to push it as much as I can. However, it has far less "downtime" than a higher spec XP machine I use at work.

One other, more minor detail I love about the Mac is how applications are "packages." In Windows, a lot of .exe's are thrown in folders with a bunch of dependencies (such as .dll files). On the Mac, these, are essentially thrown within a "wrapper" so the end user doesn't even have to look at the mess of files when all they really need is that darn executable. If a user does need to access those folders, simply right click on the app and explore the package.

Also, Apple provides a fairly easy solution to run Windows on any new Mac. So really, why not just get the best of both worlds? :)

By the way, there is a bit of a misconception brewing in this thread that should be put to rest: Not all Macs are 64-bit. Yes, Apple appears to be transitioning in that direction but not all Macs in use today are 64-bit (although I believe all Macs currently being sold by Apple are 64-bit). As little as a year ago they were still selling 32-bit machines. In fact, I'm writing this on a 32-bit Mac right now.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I guess when I was referring to 64 bit I was talking more about the computers used for some of the better photo editing, media stuff, etc. People got the impression that Macs were great for all of this because the big media companies used them. Consumers would buy Macs and maybe even get a 32 bit version and be perfectly happy because "it was a Mac and it was better" without knowing the true specs behind it.

Granted, given the specs of any PC or Mac, either could be better. It's not like PC is always better or Mac is always better. I'll take a nice new Mac Pro over a 5 year old already upgraded to the max PC, for example.

Also, as for running Windows on a Mac to get the best of both worlds, that's true to a degree. You'd still be paying a lot more for your hardware though. If you're like me and you have no use for a Mac then it makes no sense to pay extra to get the best of both worlds. For some people it would be the perfect solution to the debate.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I see two major pros for each side:

PC - Customization, Macs still have not figured out nor do they want to give users the same level of customization a PC has.

Mac - Ease of use, Macs are extremely smooth and very very easy to operate, making them ideal machines for business and home use.

Two major cons I see:

PC - For full potential, you need to know how to fuck with it. PCs are great for tweaking and personalizing however, if you do not know what you're doing, it's very hard to progress. The favorite Apple myths of viruses and crashing mostly come from the casual users that have no idea what they're doing anyways.

Mac - The price tag. Macs are nice machines and I'd love personally to own a Mac book someday but their prices are just so high and I'd argue it's probably one of the reasons they haven't been adopted as business standard just yet. If someone can convince Steve Jobs that we don't feel like paying triple the price for the Apple logo, that'd be great.

That all being said, I hate these Mac vs. PC wars like I hate bipartisan politics.

Sim

Registered Member
I'm a user of both Mac and Windows PC on a regular basis (I have a Windows Vista Desktop at home and a MacBook for work at college or other places), and I don't consider one better than the other.

The clear advantage of the Windows Vista PC is compatibility, in my opinion: Most people use Windows, and there is more software available for Windows. Also, you find more FAQs and guides for Windows software. Another important advantage: Games! If you like to play a game on your computer now and then, you simply get more games for more reasonable prices for Windows, than for Mac.

The cons are (and I'm not familiar with Windows 7 yet, so maybe this only concerns Vista and older Windows versions): A higher susceptibility for viruses. Annoying pop-ups and endless confirmation dialogues in Windows. And, which is a matter of taste, a more ugly interface in Windows than in MacOS. Another disadvantage: When it's broken or something doesn't work, it's sometimes hard to figure out why -- while the service for Mac is better, you can just turn your Mac in to the next Mac Store, and they solve it (if you have a warrant, it's even for free).

The Mac, on the other hand, is the ideal work laptop for me: A standbye mode that works smoothly and without problems (just close it and open it as often as you like), very easy to use (I never had compatibility issues or bugs when I installed new software), the design is better and more smooth than under Windows (again, that's a matter of taste) and somehow, the machine just seems "faster" (although my Windows desktop has similar hardware specifications). Also, every MacBook is the same, so technical problems are well documented and can easily be solved (which is at the same time a disadvantage when it comes to customibility, but when you don't use the Mac for playing around with its hardware, that doesn't matter).

For me, Windows is the perfect platform for gaming on a desktop, while Mac is the perfect platform for smooth work on a laptop.

Rectify88

Registered Member
I've posted on a previous thread like this before. But since in the recent time 64 bit computing for Pc's have come out I guess I can kind of segway from my last post.

I like getting into these discussions becase I go to a media arts school. During my time there we were exposed to both Mac and the pc way of things. I think now though with 64 bit computing the biggest con I have is the price. For what I do witch is digital creation like Music and Movies, you would think a Mac would be a great choice right. I mean Pro Tools, Logic, Cakelwalk, apparently all love to work on a mac. But for the Mac pro desktops with 8 cores you end up paying around 10,000 Dollars. With a customized pc you can spend half that and get the pretigous 10,000 RPM Harddrive, and you get to be able to work on a platform that neaerly all computer games are cut to.

With working with macs however, you have native 64 bit support, the OS though it crashes too when dealing with pro applications, does it a lot less than windows. But Windows 7 may remedy the situation. For a long time I was a MAc only guy when it came to Media Creation, but now since if you know what your doing can build a custom Pc that is just as stable with better components for half the price, you figure that it's the right move.

I'll admit that for A Mac pro the processor is second to none. INtel Xeon are prpbably the most commerciallly fast processors, and Logic being only avaiable on a Mac is a reaosn to try and get both. My school gave me a Mac Book Pro and it's amazing not as twekable as say an alienware but thats ok, I use my mac to run Logic, and Pro Tools for now but when I'm home for good wile making my home studio I'm going to buy a barebones custom pc.

There are a lot of Convienent features that a mac has, like the sleep mode and the software update that is just a litle more stramlined than pc. I will say again that both Pc and Macs have there share of viruses especialy because some people don't know the a key from the shift key.

So the Pro's of Pc's are
Compatabillity
Price
Tweakabillity
Reliablillty
Some cons of Pc's
More Vunerable Architecure than the mac
plehora of parts that need to be compatable and can cause confusion
base 32 bit support caues some issues for high processor use tools.

Now for the Mac
Some Pro's
Native 64 Biut support
Stremline Archetecture
Pro Standard
Some COns
PRICE!!!
Very Limited COmpatabillity outside party
Vunerable Archetecture especially with the development of 64bit, so even though less vulnerable due to the code of the os it is still in need of good protection.

whateverdude_09

Registered Member
i don't know about you guys, but PC's are what i grew up with and i am familiar with them. people tend to argue that the mac's have less viruses and therefore run better. but the thing is: mac's are getting popular and people are learning the code and writing viruses. the reason that PC's have more viruses is because more people have them, so, the programmers of said viruses are thinking "how can i do more damage?" and choose PC.

another thing...i like to right click, so PC all the way!