Mac vs. PC, constructive arguments only please

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Mirage, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Ok, first of all, if you are a die hard Mac or PC user, this thread is not for you. I'm definitely a PC fan over Mac, however, I recognize fully that Mac's do have advantages over PC's.

I'm looking for arguments for both that can be backed with more than simple "fanboy" arguments. Basically I'm considering getting a Mac later on this year and I'd like to have some constructive arguments for and against both Mac's and PC's.

2. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

My opinion is that you should have both in the same setup to gain the benefits of both. Almost like a dual-monitor setup where you'd use the Mac for your graphic intensive programs, and design work, and maybe even your coding.

Use your PC for the day-to-day stuff and browsing, music, and so on.

3. Mirage

Well I already have a good PC for everything that I do, so I'd obviously keep that too. I'm just trying to convince myself that getting a Mac would be beneficial. I'd probably get a laptop if anything, since I could also use a decent laptop. Only problem is that it would be a lot more expensive as a laptop vs. just a tower.

4. cheezer465

cheezer465 Registered Member

Nah, I use my mac for music, buisness and my intesive programs but everything else use the pc.

5. Mirage

I was playing around with the configuration tool on Mac's website and it looks like if I went with a Mac Pro the sky is the limit hardwarewise (and pricewise). After adding up to 16GB of RAM among other speed enhancements the final price came out around $15,000....

I had no idea these things could get so expensive. Obviously I won't be spending that much, but, I do find it very interesting that Mac's can be upgraded so much more than PC's (speedwise). I challenge anybody to configure a PC that will cost anywhere near that much. Mac's are definitely more expensive by far. :(

6. FaKeD

FaKeD Registered Member

I think that Microsoft and Apple should team up so they can make a Mac safe Windows compatible OS...xD

WindMac OSXI

7. Mirage

That would be a horrible idea. It's better to have them compete to be better than each other. Otherwise, there is no other company that could come close to competing, so overall their product quality would drop like a rock. I'm sure most tech followers would agree that we don't need a "Macrosoft" monopoly.

8. FaKeD

FaKeD Registered Member

I guess your right..xD

But i think that if Mac had the same compatibility as Windows has nobody would even buy windows.... xD

9. Mr_Snipes

Mr_Snipes Registered Member

I would not want a Mac that is as compatible as Windows, because compatibility reduces performance. I have used both Macs and PCs and I have to say that the stuff that I have done on the Mac would a killed a PC because the PC is built for compatibilty not to utilize the full performance of the system.