• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

M1 Garand - A WW2 Classic (updated with pics)

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
So I bought a new rifle. I'm picking it up Friday since they guy lives a county up... it's kind of hard to get up that way with all this snow and it keeps getting postponed :( It is an official sale though... I just haven't picked it up yet. Any gun owner will tell you this gun is the cream of the crop when it comes to tough, hard battle rifles from WW2.

YouTube - M1 Garand

It is in the 3.4 mil serial number range (That means it was made in or around January of 1945) with an original barrel from the same time. It has a nice matching walnut wood stock. The only downside is there are no stampings on the wood. The Finish looks original. It has lock-bar sites, bolt, uncut operating rod and trigger group that all match the January 45 build date. The guy I am buying it from said none of the parts matched when he got it. He worked on it a bit and put a lot of TLC into it to get all the parts from January of 45... obviously they are not the original parts that the rifle was made with, just the next best thing of other parts from the same year to make it as "correct" as possible.

In short, it is a medley of parts from the same date, just not the original parts.

Here are some photos of the rifle:

More pictures to follow when I pick it up! I can't wait til Friday :D

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
Thats a beauty Pro. I've not seen one so beautiful. How much it set you back?

(I'd imagine quite a bit. Replicas alone cost 750 dollars)

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I worked him down to $900 since he put so much work into it. He was asking $1000, I offered $800 and we went from there. It's going to get a nice bake in the oven to get all that damn cosmoline off when I do get it... I hate that crap :sick:

Last edited:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Thats really not bad at all. I've talked to you on AIM about how my buddy that I used to work with bought one for upwards of 1,700 bucks after California Tax.

It is one of those cool ones thats for sure, I wouldnt mind having it in my collection. Maybe one of these days I'll have to do a Gun Run to Reno or something and pick one up for cheap over there.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I saw on CMP that you can get "Presentation Grade" Garand's for $2,500... and that is new in box. I'd love one of those. I'd also like to have one that I know saw combat somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if this one made a few battles in WW2, but there is no way to tell... if only they could speak.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Here are my photos... and man is she a beauty :love: I picked her up from a guy on PAFOA. It is a 'Field Grade" CMP Garand with matching parts... The photos before are what the seller sent me... She is a real gem :D I can't wait to get her out and stretch her legs. Enjoy the photos!

The 1945 date that matches the serial number...

Of course our cat the "Customs Agent" had to come inspect it as he does with EVERYTHING I bring home :rolleyes:

I was trying to get a good shot of the excellent rifling in the barrel, but it didn't turn out too well... (Yes the action was open and unloaded)

He gave me about 10 clips with a little Greek surplus ammo to get me started.

------
... oh ya, and for anyone who has seen Gran Torinio, that is a Garand in this clip. You'll also see it in countless WW2 movies.

YouTube - Gran Torino - Get Off My Lawn _HD

Last edited:

Natsumi

Registered Member
Awesome piece. I love old WWII related items. My grandfather gave me his Pilot's uniform he wore the boots are like brand new, everything in excellent condition, including the imperial sun bandanna. He was an Ace pilot during his time. Eventually, he did get his plane shot down during the "great Mariana's turkey shoot" He crash-landed in Saipan where he surrendered to US Marines and said "I'd rather surrender like a real soldier and not the coward's way of the Kamikaze" He's still alive today to tell the tale..he's 87 years old

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
I love the sound of the ping as it runs out of ammo. Just love it. I don't think the GIs would agree with me though....