Lyrics vs. Poety

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by Nosferatu_Alucard, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

Is there really any difference between the two? Are lyrics just poetry with music?

2. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Well, yes, but that's the key difference in itself. Poetry must emit emotions by itself through its language. lyrics have the assistance of music to do so. Poetry is bound only by what sounds harmonious, lyrics must be harmonious with language and the music.

3. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

So since lyrics have music, does it make it easier to make them?

4. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Depends on the quality and the harmonious aspects of the music.

5. Bunny

Bunny Guest

Poetry allows you to say what you feel, without having to sound terribly tuneful or meaningful.

You can't write a song when you're in pain. You can write poetry in pain. It tells the real story.

6. Is this true? What about the many painful songs? Both being forms of expression, aren't lyrics and music just as emotive as poetry?

7. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I think you can write both in pain or any sane state of mind anyway. Poetry, in my eyes, lets you send your message in anyway you want. Lyrics are essentially poetry that fits a melody. I'm sure you can compose a melody for The Raven is you wanted to.

I'd say making lyrics are much harder because you still have to convey your message while fitting the time signature of the music you're writing.

8. SgtCrom

SgtCrom Registered Member

Nothing to say.

9. fleinn

fleinn 101010

...well, sometimes treating language as a song when writing helps in writing good poetry.

10. Hinata

Hinata La Coquette

I think Poetry and Lyrics are very similar and music truly seperates them. But also Poetry can be set to music and still be poetry. The words set the tone of the music.

Lyrics I feel are controlled by the music made. Lyrics have to conform to the music.

But both lyrics and poetry can be written in good times, bad times, sad times and happy times. They are just words after all and words can be used to explain emotion.