Luongo accepts rare honor from Canucks

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
NHL.com - News

This is a real surprising move. It's been a real long time since a goalie was named Captain, the last goalie was Bill Durnan for the Canadiens in 47-48.

I'm still shock with this announcement.

Thoughts?

padd

Registered Member
I was hearing about this shit on the radio before. [SARCASM]This isn't even allowed the NHL[/SARCASM], how'd it happen? The captain should be able to interact with the refs and the bench, he'll be delaying the game if he must have to skate past his blue line to the bench and the refs, then back to his net every so often.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
He won't be the one talking to the referees, I believe it's going to be Mitchell. So there won't be any delay in the game.

padd

Registered Member
He won't be the one talking to the referees, I believe it's going to be Mitchell. So there won't be any delay in the game.
he better have a loud voice then, being captian he should at least be able to motivate his team during game. pretty hard if you stay at one place the whole game.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
hahaha yeah that is a screwball. Cool news though. I like Luongo and remember his time in Florida. I didnt think he had the potential to be where he is now. Glad to see he proved me wrong!

I'd have to assume that one of the Alternate Captains ends up carrying a big load of the whole Ref Conversing Role. hahaha That would be funny to see Luongo chewing out a Linesman though.

Turbo

Registered Member
i think the league might need to step in. the on ice captain should be someone who isn't confined to a portion of the ice and is scratched in most back-to-back games. the locker room can have a different look, but on ice i don't think this was too swift.

plus, he can't even wear the C on his jersey.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
There have been 4 cases where Netminders reigned as Captains before rule 14d was updated:

* John Ross Roach, Toronto St. Patricks, 1924-25.
* George Hainsworth, Montreal Canadiens, 1932-33.
* Charlie Gardiner, Chicago Black Hawks, 1933-34.
* Bill Durnan, Montreal Canadiens, 1947-48.

Goaltenders who have served as NHL Captains
-One Captain shall be appointed by each Team, and he alone shall have the privilege of discussing with the Referee any questions relating to interpretation of rules which may arise during the progress of a game. He shall wear the letter "C", approximately three inches (3") in height and in contrasting color, in a conspicuous position on the front of his sweater. In addition, if the permanent Captain is not on the ice, Alternate Captains (not more than two) shall be accorded the privileges of the Captain. Alternate Captains shall wear the letter "A" approximately three inches (3") in height and in contrasting color, in a conspicuous position on the front of their sweaters.

(NOTE) Only when the captain is not in uniform, the Coach shall have the right to designate three Alternate Captains. This must be done prior to the start of the game.

-The Referee and Official Scorer shall be advised prior to the start of each game, the name of the Captain and the Alternate Captains of both Teams.

-Only the Captain, when invited to do so by the Referee, shall have the privilege of discussing any point relating to the interpretation of rules. Any Captain or player who comes off the bench and makes any protest or intervention with the Officials for any purpose shall be assessed a minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct under Rule 41(b) - Abuse of Officials. Should this protest continue, he may be assessed a misconduct penalty, and if it further continues, a game misconduct penalty shall be warranted. A complaint about a penalty is NOT a matter "relating to the interpretation of the rules" and a minor penalty shall be imposed against any Captain or other player making such a complaint.

-No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain.
it is in fact a direct violation of the rulebook.....
NHL.com - Rulebook

Last edited: