• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Luckiest baseball catch of all time?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
As you have probably heard by now, Barry Bonds has just hit his 756th career home run. The baseball that he sent into the stands is valued at over $500,000.

The guy who ended up with the ball (there was a mosh-pit style pile of people going for it) has already said that he is considering keeping the ball.

I think he should sell it to a sports memorabilia museum. It's pretty selfish to keep it, for a few reasons. The first being what if his house burns down and it isn't properly protected? The legendary ball would be gone. The second and more obvious reason is that he can probably get upwards of $1,000,000 or more for the ball and never have to work another day in his life.

Seems like that's a pretty good deal to me. I'd sell it for sure regardless of any sentimental value he claims it has for him.

Who here would keep it if you knew the alternative was having it stored in a safe place for all to admire and cherish, AND a nice healthy boost to your bank account.

I'd sell for sure.

Fan who caught Bonds’ 756th may keep it - TODAY: People - MSNBC.com

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I don't care where it goes, as long as they keep it away from Cooperstown.

I also feel that it's the guy's choice if he wants to keep it or not, he was the one to catch it.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well of course it is his choice. I just think he is being stupid by keeping it. I'm not for forcing him to sell it either. I just think it belongs in a museum.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The sports memorabilia museum could also burn down. I don't understand how you could call him selfish for not wanting to make a shitload of money. I'll admire the guy if he decides to keep the ball.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
He's not selfish not to make all the money. I was mostly talking about the fact that the baseball is somewhat of a legendary ball and it doesn't seem right that he will just keep it locked away for bragging rights.

Don't get me wrong, he has the right to do that if he wants. I'm just saying that the ball doesn't belong in a safe in some guys basement.

cheezer465

Registered Member
As you have probably heard by now, Barry Bonds has just hit his 756th career home run. The baseball that he sent into the stands is valued at over $500,000.

The guy who ended up with the ball (there was a mosh-pit style pile of people going for it) has already said that he is considering keeping the ball.

I think he should sell it to a sports memorabilia museum. It's pretty selfish to keep it, for a few reasons. The first being what if his house burns down and it isn't properly protected? The legendary ball would be gone. The second and more obvious reason is that he can probably get upwards of $1,000,000 or more for the ball and never have to work another day in his life.

Seems like that's a pretty good deal to me. I'd sell it for sure regardless of any sentimental value he claims it has for him.

Who here would keep it if you knew the alternative was having it stored in a safe place for all to admire and cherish, AND a nice healthy boost to your bank account.

I'd sell for sure.

Fan who caught Bonds’ 756th may keep it - TODAY: People - MSNBC.com
Are you serious! You would sell it? Why? That is a huge piece of baseball history i know you wouldnt have to work but i still wouldnt sell it.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'd rather sit on my ass all day and do nothing than be poor and stare at a baseball that doesn't really belong in my house, anyway. I'd just take pictures.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I didn't even think about that. A $500,000 "gift" would put him in the highest tax bracket. At 35% tax, he'd owe $175,000 in capital gain or gift tax, whichever you want to call it.

The funny thing is even once he sells it, it should sell for around $500,000 or more, so he will STILL have to pay around $175,000 in taxes after it sells.

I hate tax brackets, but that's a thought for another thread.

Here's a link to the website that will host the auction next week:

SCP Auctions