Lucid Dreaming

C

Casualtie

About a month or two ago I came across a website about lucid dreaming.

For those who don't know, lucid dreaming is basically put as recognizing your dreaming while your dreaming. You might think this sounds a little boring, but it doesn't take long until you can control your dreams and take charge of what is going on around you.

Experienced lucid dreamers (about a year or longer) have said their dreams eventually begin to feel so real that they are beyond life-like.

I've been practicing it for about a month or two and have already had two, very lengthy, very controlled, and very vivid lucid dreams. It was an amazing experience. I doesn't cut away from anything in real life, because you are doing it while you are a sleep and that is it.

Some benefits:

Can put you in a great mood
Get rid of nightmares
Give you something to do while you sleep
Find your muse
Help you conquer your fears
Great stress reliever
Practice skateboarding
Have fun
Et cetera

Here is a link to my dream journal: http://www.dreamviews.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37706&st=15

If your at all interested, send me a PM and I'll give you a link to a great website on it. I don't want to post it here because it has a forum and I don't want to get in trouble for posting a link to a different forum.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I've actually been very intrigued by this. I've always wanted to learn how to do this. Can you please post some of the steps you take?

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I've had this happen before. Sometimes I think it's just that the dreams are so ridiculous that you know it's a dream, yet you're too tired to wake up.

C

Casualtie

Sure thing. This site is down at the momemt, but for future reference its:

http://www.dreamviews.com

First things first. You have to be able to remember your dreams. There are many ways to go about improving this skill, oftenly called dream recall, the most common being a dream journal. Basically you record your dreams and reread them whenever you get the chance (it doesn't have to be often) and try to recognize your dream sign.

A dream sign is a common element in your dreams that can be used to help you recognize you are dream.

There are many other ways of improving dream recall, such as closley examining the world around you, and truly questioning it. It helps train your mind to pay more attnetion to detail.

Once you have decent recall, its time to work on becoming lucid. Like dream recall there are many different ways of going about this. The vast majority of them are aid by a reality check in some way.

A reality check is basically what it sounds, a way of testing reality. There are several methods for this as well, such as plugging your nose with your fingers (like a diver) and seeing if you can breath (this is the method I use). Obviously, if you can breath, you are dreaming.

You need to preform a series of reality checks throughout the day in order to get into the habit of doing them. This subconsciously trains your brain to do reality checks whenever you think of them. If that is often, chances are you will eventually do one in a dream.

Thats as basic and broken down as it gets

Kyo_Muramasa

Nefarious Kaizoku Capt'n
Sometimes I can tell when I am dreaming it's just that when I try to open my eyes I can't >>; I think maybe because I am so tired my eyes refuses to pop open, but when they do I sometimes forget the dream al together and can't recall it at all T_T Sometimes that's a good thing though.

wiki said:
Common techniques

[edit] Reality testing

Reality testing is a common method that people use to determine whether or not they are dreaming. It involves performing an action with results that are difficult to re-create in a dream. By practicing these techniques during waking life, one will eventually dream of performing a reality check—which will usually fail—helping the dreamer realize that they are dreaming. Common reality tests include:

* Read some text, look away, and read it again, or to look at your watch and remember the time, then look away and look back. Observers have found that, in a dream, the text or time will often have changed.[15]
* Flipping a light switch or looking into a mirror. Light switches rarely work properly in dreams, and reflections from a mirror often appear to be blurred, distorted or incorrect.[16]

Another form of reality testing involves identifying one's dream signs, clues that one is dreaming. Dream signs are often categorized as follows:

* Action — The dreamer, another dream character, or a thing does something unusual or impossible in waking life, such as photos in a magazine or newspaper becoming 3-dimensional with full movement.
* Context — The place or situation in the dream is strange.
* Form — The dreamer, another character, or a thing changes shape, or is oddly formed or transforms; this may include the presence of unusual clothing or hair, or a third person view of the dreamer.
* Awareness — A peculiar thought, a strong emotion, an unusual sensation, or altered perceptions. In some cases when moving one's head from side to side, one may notice a strange stuttering or 'strobing' of the image.
* Cohesion — Sometimes the dreamer may seem to "teleport" to a completely different location in a dream, with no transition whatsoever.

Though occurrences like these may seem out of place in waking life, they may seem perfectly normal to a dreaming mind and learning to pick up on these dream signs will help in recognizing that one is dreaming.

[edit] Mnemonic induction of lucid dreams (MILD)

The mnemonic induction of lucid dreams is a common technique used to induce a lucid dream at will by setting an intention, while falling asleep, to remember to recognize that one is dreaming, or to remember to look for dream signs. Because it is easy to master (almost everyone sets intentions frequently), it is ideal for those who have never practiced lucid dreaming induction techniques before.

The MILD technique was developed by Stephen LaBerge, and is described fully in his book Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming.

[edit] Wake-back-to-bed (WBTB)

The wake-back-to-bed technique is often the easiest way to induce a lucid dream. The method involves going to sleep tired and waking up five hours later. Then, focusing all thoughts on lucid dreaming, staying awake for an hour and going back to sleep. The odds of having a lucid dream are then much higher. This is because the REM cycles get longer as the night goes on, and this technique takes advantage of the best REM cycle of the night. Because this REM cycle is longer and deeper, gaining lucidity during this time may result in a more vivid and lengthy lucid dream.[17] This may also offer an explanation as to why many people claim to have more memorable dreams in the early morning hours before they wake up for the day. However, the explanation that people may simply recall a dream more easily if they directly wake up from it has also been suggested.

[edit] Wake-initiated lucid dream (WILD)

The wake-initiated lucid dream "occurs when the sleeper enters REM sleep with unbroken self-awareness directly from the waking state".[18] The key to this technique is recognizing the hypnagogic stage, which is within the border of being awake and being asleep. If a person is successful in staying aware while this stage occurs, they will eventually enter the dream state while being fully aware that it is a dream. Because one does not have to recognize a cue in order to induce a lucid dream using this technique, it tends to be more reliable than other techniques. There are key times at which this technique is best used; while success at night after being awake for a long time is very difficult, it is relatively easy after being awake for 15 or so minutes and in the afternoon during a nap. Users of this technique often count, envision themselves climbing or descending stairs, chanting to themselves, exploring elaborate, passive sexual fantasies, controlling their breathing, concentrating on relaxing their body from their toes to their head, allowing images to flow through their "mind's eye" and envisioning themselves jumping into the image, or any various form of concentration to keep their mind awake, while still being calm enough to let their body sleep. During the actual transition into the dreamstate, one is likely to experience sleep paralysis, including rapid vibrations.[19]Also there is frequently a sensation of falling rapidly or dropping through the bed as one enters the dreamstate or the sensation of entering a dark black room from which one can induce any dream scenario of one's choosing, simply by concentrating on it. The key to being successful is to not panic, especially during the transition which can be quite sudden.

[edit] Cycle adjustment technique (CAT)

The cycle adjustment technique, developed by Daniel Love[20], is an effective way to induce lucid dreaming. It involves adjusting one's sleep cycle to encourage awareness during the later part of the sleep. First, the person wakes up 90 minutes before normal wake time until their sleep cycle begins to adjust (Love suggests at least a week for this stage). During this 90 minute period regular reality tests are performed. After this initial period is complete, the normal wake times and early wake times alternate daily. On the days with the normal wake times, the body is ready to wake up and perform reality tests yet remains asleep and dreaming. These sleep cycle adjustments should create favourable psychological and biological conditions for lucidity.

[edit] Don Juan's technique

This technique is the one endorsed by Carlos Castaneda's fictional guide, Don Juan, in the book Journey to Ixtlan. Before going to sleep one must look at one's hands and say to oneself: "Later, when I am dreaming, I will look at my hands and realize that I am dreaming." While dreaming, one must look at one's hands, then look around and repeat the procedure throughout the dream.[21][22]

See also: The Art of Dreaming (a book by Castaneda)

[edit] Induction devices

Lucid dream induction is possible by the use of a physical device. The general principle works by taking advantage of the natural phenomenon of incorporating external stimuli into one's dreams. Usually a device is worn while sleeping that can detect when the sleeper enters a REM phase and triggers a noise and/or flashing lights with the goal of these stimuli being incorporated into the dreamer's dream. For example flashing lights might be translated to a car's headlights in a dream. A well known dream induction device is the Nova Dreamer [23]; however, as of 2006, the device is no longer manufactured. However, the electronic devices are not the only tools for lucidity. It is very common to listen to various sound files at night just before falling asleep. Also, it is very common to set the sound files to start when one is asleep. That way, one will recognize the sound, and achieve lucidity.

M

mysticangel

you know, i remember most of the things I dream about, mostly maybe because I've been having 4 or 5 of the same type of dreams for so many years now that i can remember.

1 - no dreams at all

2 - i'm on the ground and either i kick off and starting to float on my own

3 - someone, usually an archer or someone throwing stones at me is there and i start to run and end up floating.

the only problem with these 2 dreams is that I know i'm dreaming but when i try to get down I can't. I just keep going higher and higher and when i start to be way high in the sky way above the clouds i get this feeling that if i go any higher something bad is going to happen...so i just wake up. I've never kept dreaming to see what would happen if i did reach that far.

4 - i usually know in my dream that i'm dreaming because i'm looking at myself as i'm dreaming from outside my body. Sometimes I don't usually look like the person I am now, but for some reason I know it's me that i'm looking at. Like watching a story unfold before my eyes.

--------

some varies here and there but those usually some up what it is i'm dreaming about..oh...i've also dreamed that i went inside the tv and turned into a cartoon character once of twice...looked kinda like a mario game setting... -_-

A

AllenIversonAllStar

I've heard much about these "lucid" dreams because my friend has claimed to have had one. These usually occur during REM sleep (Rapid Eye Movement-your brain is functioning as if it were awake while you are still asleep) right after your fall asleep or right before you are to wake up without assistance (alarm clock, person waking you up, etc).

S

Saniya

Lucid dreaming is an odd thing, because, even though you are dreaming and everything that is going on in the dream is completely under you control, because after all it is coming out of your subconscious, it still takes a while to realize that you can change and manipulate things.

The weird thing is that they teach you how to have lucid dreams in Buddhist monasteries in order to help you deal with your problems. My mom, having lived in one for a large amount of time during her youth, taught me how to realize that I was dreaming when I was 5 years old to help me get over my nightmares. I hadn’t even realized that realizing you were in a dream, and then manipulating it, had a name until 2 years ago when I watched The Wakening Life.

If you’re trying to learn how to Lucid dream or you already know how and want to know more about lucid dreaming, I highly recommend you watch this movie.

A

angryhairpiece

I actually had one last night, and boy was it amazing. I could do whatever I wanted, and when I got bored, poof, change of scenery.