Love

Discussion in 'Dating & Relationships' started by Bliss, May 11, 2008.

1. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Have you ever been in love? Do you believe in the theory "there is one person in the world for everyone"? Have you ever been in love with more than one person at the same time?

Personally, I have only ever been with one person and we've been together for over six years so far. I still feel he is the right person for me and I don't believe I could ever love someone as much as I do him.
    I could never share my love between two people but I have heard of others saying they are in love with two people.
    I find it a little hard to believe that you can love more than one person at a time and am interested to hear your views...

2. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

Yes I've been in love, 3 times. At 16, at 21 and at 24.

3. kiwi

kiwi The Original Kiwi

Yes I am currently in love. No I don't think there is one set person you are supposes to find, I feel there are many people out there you could be just as compatible and happy with, the one we end up with is due to the choices we make.

4. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I've never been in love. I've liked, but loving is pretty difficult. Love takes effort that I'm not willing or capable of giving right now.

I find it hard to imagine truly loving more than 1 person at the same time.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I don't think that our capacity to love is so limited that it can only happen for one person at a time.

I believe you can love more than one person at one time. May not be the same intensity but the feeling is still there. We just choose to commit to one person (we probably love more) for a monogamous relationship because of societal rules and, admittedly, it's hard enough to manage one and make it work.

6. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

I have loved but I have never been in love. At this point I'm not even sure to what extent I could love someone. No secret that it's not easy. I hear all these stories from other people and friends on how they "found" their special someone or significant other.

If it's one thing I've learned through observation and experience it's that those bonds are never unbreakable. I've seen many of my friends stay in a monogamous relationship for many months if not years and I think they're going to be together for a long time. Then things change, go downhill and suddenly its over.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for anyway.

7. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

To add to what ysabel said, parents love their children - all of them. Yes it is not the kind of thing you are talking about, but love is love is love no matter who it is. It's the relationship that changes not the feeling of love.
    You get annoyed with your child, but you never stop loving them, same with your partner - you get annoyed and have fights but that never stops the feeling of love you have for each other.
    I think I've come off topic here. Nvm, you catch my drift.

8. EndWinterRomance

EndWinterRomance PREGGERS

I've been in love before but i have loved many people.... i agree with the general concencious which seems to be that you can love many people at once. i really love all of my friends at the time being but am not IN love with anyone.... ok thats a lie. i am in love with someone but it just is the context that changes it from loving someone to being in love with someone. for example i love my best friend grant but were something to happen that would convert us from platonic to whatever the opposite is, then i could be in love with him and feel the same thing i do now, just more physicaly express it.

As for their only being one person for each of us i think thats bull.... their are plenty of right people, its just a matter of matching the right person with the right time. that seems to be my problem. right guy wrong time. but thats another thread

Bliss likes this.
  9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Actually, I was just thinking of that Boredie, when I posted here. When I had my first child, I was afraid of having a second because I thought it was not possibile to give myself and love another child without somehow taking away the love I have for my first child. Then someone told me that my love capacity is not like a slice of pizza...that the more I give to others, the lesser love each one gets. Our reserve is not limited, we can give love to as many as we open ourselves to and each of them can be real and big love as we want to be. I have 3 children now and I believe this belief to be right on.

That's why when thinking of romantic love, I know it's the same principle. We have the capacity to be in love with several people (just check out songs and literature written about being "torn between two" - the phenomenon exists), but I guess we're used to believing that loving more than one at the same time is unacceptable and is conflicting.

10. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm in love right now as a matter of fact. :nod:

I don't believe there's only one person for everyone. I do however believe in soul mates - people who were meant to be together, whether for just a time or for the rest of their lives. I've been in love a few times.

Matriqulated likes this.