• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Love before politics

Love before politics

• Probably not. I'm looking for someone who matches my world view, at least to some extent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ain't gonna happen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm just interested to see how important politics are for people on these forums.

Please read the poll options.

Yoshiiiiiiii

Registered Member
One of my core tenets for a perfect partner is that they must be good at debate and discussion, and not be afraid to properly argue about differences, because that would be so stimulating. However, it would be nicer if my partner felt similar to me about the world and political things. If they were inflexible to change it would be harder though because if they were extreme about some things it might be a form of hatred and might upset me.

Sim

Registered Member
I've chosen "Yes, think of the great make-up sex after heated debate!" :lol:

Unfortunately, politics isn't important for my fiancée at all. She is rather open minded, but hardly follows the news at all, and only sometimes likes to hear my opinions. But maybe that's good. I like she doesn't approach politics from a dogmatic, ideologic or prejudiced perspective, but actually reads the different proposals before an election without any bias, and then decides pragmatically.

At any rate, I don't want to miss her ... but ideally, I should have enough space for politics in my life too. And so far, she gives me that freedom.

When thinking about hypothetic situations ... I wouldn't mind a girlfriend who has different political opinions than I have, as long as general ethic convictions are compatible. I see myself tending more to left-leaning and environmentalist ideas, and if she was a more traditional or conservative, that would be fine. If I believe welfare should be raised to support the needy, and she believes it should be lowered to give more incentives to work, that's fine. If I believe kids don't necessarily need to know much about religion, and she believes they should at least learn about Christian tradition, that would be fine as well.

But rejecting basic values of human rights and constitutional state would be a no-go. For example, I would never accept a racist girlfriend, or one who believes punishing people without a trial is ok. Or if she hates gays. But if she thinks that, politics would probably not be the only field on which we fundamentally differ, but we'd recognize this difference much earlier already, when it comes to dealing with other people, common friends and acquaintances.

Yoshiiiiiiii

Registered Member
Actually I had a bf of sorts once (someone I was very close to at distance) who was totally racist, I had a tough day at work and came home hoping to be cheered up, instead of which I got this hypervitriolic rant about his hatred for all of Germany I got so upset by that!! I too wouldn't tolerate someone hating on people at all, to clarify my last post. I've been bullied enough in life without being an accessory to hatred.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I like to read on some politics, but not enough to make it a conflict in a relationship. I wouldn't really care if me and my significant other didn't have the same political views. If she liked a sport rival team, now that's a whole different story ;)

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I went with the second option. It would be nice to have similar world views, but as long as the other person reaches their conclusions thoughtfully, there is room for some conflict, which in turn could lead to some pretty hot passionate sex.

Daemonic

Registered Member
I went with the first option but that kind of love isn't important to me right now anyway....

Dabs

Registered Member
If I never had to talk about politics for the remainder of my life, that'd be fine by me.
I dislike political talk.....somebody gets pissy, somebody walks off huffy......somebody starts shouting...and my stress level goes way up and my nerves can't take it.
Some people are very well mannered when talking about politics, and they handle themselves accordingly and can take the pressure and enjoy a heated debate.
Not me, leave me the hell out of it~