• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Love As A Social Function

Godsmirror

Registered Member
Do you think too many people say they "love" each other, and get married simply for the social aspect of it all? Financial security......not breaking social rank.......doing what is expected by the time they're 30......

Or do you think there is an even mix of social jockeys vs. the people who truly have found love on a deeper, more personal, level?

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
Do you think too many people say they "love" each other, and get married simply for the social aspect of it all? Financial security......not breaking social rank.......doing what is expected by the time they're 30......
I'm not sure any of that applies anymore. Women can work, both genders can live together without most people batting an eye, and sex is no longer a marriage only benefit. Maybe that's why people are waiting later and later to get married.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think most people get married because they love each other. I don't think there really is a social aspect of it anymore. At least not for the most part. I have to question if people would vote for a single person as president especially if he/she were living with someone.

Godsmirror

Registered Member
I have to question if people would vote for a single person as president especially if he/she were living with someone.
Are we still talking about marriage?

But yeah, I don't know why I get the impression that some people still get married out of convenience, I just do. Maybe it's just me passing judgement on their relationship. I tend to do that.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Are we still talking about marriage?

But yeah, I don't know why I get the impression that some people still get married out of convenience, I just do. Maybe it's just me passing judgement on their relationship. I tend to do that.
Yes I am still talking about marriage. Even though people are fine with couples living together now, and not having to get married even to have children, I doubt that would extend to the president.

I guess there are probably a few out there that still gets married out of convenience but I don't know why they would anymore.

Carmelita

Registered Member

Or do you think there is an even mix of social jockeys vs. the people who truly have found love on a deeper, more personal, level?
I definitely think that marrying for non-love issues is done, however, I couldn't be one of them. I love the men I love for reasons that can't be explained away by social engagement issues. I think you should really consider what you want out of life and love should be a big part of it!

Godsmirror

Registered Member
I think you should really consider what you want out of life and love should be a big part of it!
Well, the first thing I would want out of life is not a woman who loves other men for non social-engagement issues. That sounds like an open relationship, and I'm not down with that.

The second thing I want is transparency. If a woman cannot be open about her past, present and future, she's not the woman for me.

That's where money comes into play. Money doesn't lie to you, keep itself hidden from you and does what you tell it to do with no arguments. Women can be loyal, but temperaments can make that fleeting.

Once bitten, twice shy.