• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Love and Other Drugs

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I just watched it today and I liked it. Anyone else seen it?

It's with Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway, but not Brokeback. She is very different from her usual innocent princess roles and I think she played her character well. There are several nude/semi-nude scenes but well done and something else is happening at times that you don't really focus on the nudity per se (but yeah, who couldn't resist seeing it haha). I like the convo and the dilemma and other social issues raised in the movie.

Sassycrax

Registered Member
Sorry to say that I have not seen it, but it is really one of the movies I am going to look out for! I've seen the making of and it looked very good.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
It was good when I saw it. I typically don't like romantic films, but this one was rather well done, I would say. Loved Anne Hathaway in it. Jake Gyllenhall, not so much.

Puck

Registered Member
I'm actually really looking forward to watching this. Anne Hathaway seems to fall into roles so seemlessly, that it's fun to watch.

Update after I've watched it!

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
It was good when I saw it. I typically don't like romantic films, but this one was rather well done, I would say. Loved Anne Hathaway in it. Jake Gyllenhall, not so much.
Anne does stand out in the movie. Jake wasn't that bad, just maybe Anne's character was more powerful and she didn't have to play the cute card to make the character more touching.

Puck

Registered Member
Finally sat down and watched this.

I really enjoyed it, moreso than I thought I would. Jake & Anne work well together on scene. The story line has been done before but it had a slight bit of uniqueness to it that it made it stand out just that much more than the other romance movies I've seen recently.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Encouraged to see these reviews. A friend of mine works for that major drug company said it makes them look bad so she is "boycotting" it. Until then I was so looking forward to seeing it. Now I am again.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I think the drug companies got a good publicity from this. Maybe it mentioned some usual rants about pharmaceutical companies but nothing new (ruining). It even made it look interesting to work for one. :lol:

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Love & Other Drugs - 2010 (possible spoilers)

I saw this film a couple of weeks ago I really loved it. It seemed to get a lot of criticism from a lot of people mainly focusing on how much nudity and sex there was in it but I will come back to that in a second.

For those who haven't seen as I don't want to rick ruining it I will spoiler the rest of this thread.

The film stars Anne Hathaway as a women who is dying, as a result she is taking some serious medication and it is not helping her mental state, she can get upset, be anxious, irrational and sometimes will break down for no reason. Along Anne is Jake Gyllenhaal who plays a man desperate to make money, he doesn't want to be an inventor and rather like Nick in "Thank you for Smoking" he lives and breaths bullshit, he can do anything if you just let him talk. In this job he sells medication that can save many people with very little concern if it does or it doesn't. In a chance meeting Anne and Jake meet and form a relationship. At the start the relationship is just based on sex but as Anne goes further and further downhill Jake wants to help her. I will stop there.

So, onto the subject of sex in the film. The fact is that the character is a broken one, she doesn't seem to know what she wants or what she is doing, the only thing that seems to keep her going is being with this man. I have never had to deal with what her character is going through but I do suffer from depression and without wanting to get to deep am on medication so I can see where she is coming from, if she is in that state she may need something anything to get through the day. I tried to have this discussion with people in work and most of the guys I spoke to said "yeah, but does Anne get her baps out?? Cos I will watch it if she does!". I appreciate I don't know everything about film or indeed what she was going though but I just can't help but feel the film was wasted on them. I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to see a film with some portraying really good complex human emotions.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see the original post. I will make sure to look more carefully next time.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
My theory: I don't think she uses it just to get through the day but it gives her the sort of connection with another person even for that short period which is the only thing she allows herself given her condition. She doesn't think she's long term material for other people.