• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Lou Gehrig's streak or Cal Ripken's

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Both had amazing streaks of playing consecutive games. Ripken played in 2,632 straight games and Gehrig played in 2,130.

So in your opinion which one do you believe is more impressive?

Please explain your answer.

IMO, I think Lou Gehrig's was more impressive. He had to play hurt at least 4 times with broken bones. Training, travel and conditioning were a lot different in the 20s and 30s. Lou also played with a 104 temperature. In a interview with Cal Ripken, he said the closes he came to missing a game was on a day that one of his children was born. Ripken's streak is very impressive since he played shortstop and third base. Shortstop a far more demanding position. But better medical, training, travelling by plane (instead of train), field conditions, conditioning programs made Ripken's era easier to play. Tho I see a very good point listed in other comments. During Ripken's years, players had scheduled and took days off. So it is a credit to Cal's fortitude to play everyday instead of just taking a day off.

Smartass64

Different eras, different playing conditions...

having said that, Ripken's accomplishment is the more impressive tho - media demands, travel, players bigger/stronger, SS is a more demanding position..
Remember Gehrig never traveled west of Detroit, might have played at least another 2 seasons had he been healthy, and yes medical treatment was more primitive then but you could argue that it cancels out the position differences...

SoberJaysFan

Smartass64 said:
Different eras, different playing conditions...

having said that, Ripken's accomplishment is the more impressive tho - media demands, travel, players bigger/stronger, SS is a more demanding position..
Remember Gehrig never traveled west of Detroit, might have played at least another 2 seasons had he been healthy, and yes medical treatment was more primitive then but you could argue that it cancels out the position differences...
I agree with all this. The travel point is the big one. Gehrig never travelled west of Detroit? Wow. Ripken's streak is wayyy more impressive.