• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Losing interest

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Have you ever lost interest in something that was once a huge part of your life, and does it distress you?

I used to love watching hockey, I'd watch every chance I got, but for the last couple of seasons it doesn't seem to hold my interest. Being a hockey fan was one of the things that defined me, and it really distresses me that I've lost interest. That makes no sense to me but it's true.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
That's a good thread.

I was once very interested in playing basketball. I used to play a lot, but over the past few years it's not part of me anymore. This sport used to be one of my hobbies, but not anymore.

Also drawing, I used to draw a lot but it doesn't get my attention anymore.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Thanks Elly. I actually thought of this thread as I was listening to a Soundgarden song today, and I felt like I was practically forcing myself to listen to it because it's one of their best (Jesus Christ Pose) and I hadn't heard it in ages, but I wasn't interested in listening to it. And I thought, wtf I love Soundgarden, but that's happened the last couple of times I've tried to listen to them.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Losing interest in things is natural, I think. It's certainly happened to me with various things over the years. When I was in middle school and high school I was obsessed with golf. Loved playing it, practicing it, watching it, etc. Then after high school I completely lost the desire to keep playing.

I've lost interest in drinking. It's just not something I care to do anymore, and I used to be a pretty big party animal.

My interest in video games comes and goes. I've been playing Halo a lot lately, but sometimes I'll go six months without playing a single video game.

I used to love cars. Now I couldn't care less about them.

The two things I don't think I'll ever lose interest in are sports and hiking, but you never know.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
Yes definitely!

I started to lose interest with snooker earlier this year. After a few months with it being out of season, the UK Championships started 4 days ago (it's only on for just over a week) and so far I have watched half a match, and I wasn't even really watching it, it was just on in the background.

It does distress me because so many good things in my life came about because of my love for that sport/game, stupid as it may sound to people who don't follow. For one thing, I wouldn't be HERE on this site right now!

I totally understand what you mean when you say hockey used to be one of the things that defined you. It kind of feels like you lose a part of yourself when you lose interest in something that was once so important to you. But like Ech said, I suppose it's just a natural process.

Dabs

Registered Member
It is indeed, a very good subject.
But I'm afraid my answer will differ from most.
Maybe because I had my children at such a young age, and after they were grown and gone.....I felt things were not the same.
Well, they're not.....but to me, I have lost interest in life...my life~
I don't seem to care if suddenly the world was coming to an end, where as, when my youngest was a baby, and they had those damn rumors flying around about the world coming to an end..I would lie awake at night, watching my children, hoping the rumors weren't true.
Of course they weren't.......but it doesn't matter anymore.
I have seen some good things, seen a lot of bad things, watched my children grow into great adults.......and seen them have families now of their own.
So much has changed in my life......big changes...and I'm not one that liked change...so, I just really don't seem to have an interest in much of anything.
I merely am here, it would seem, for everyone else.
And yes, that saddens me....for it's hard sometimes, to figure out how to get any interests back, of any kind.
I used to be very creative, and now...it's a rare moment when I get that urge to try something new and artistic...I have to be on pain pills or something *haha*

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
Something for me that once was all I wanted in life was to make the Olympics in gymnastics. I started gymnastics before I can remember and as I became more competitive and began to win meets at age 8-11 I wanted nothing more than to be the best, but as I began to win it then became "expected" of me, both by parents and coaches. When I would not do so well I would be made to feel guilty as I had intended to lose, so by age 15 gymnastics was something I came to dislike doing very much and by 16 ignoring pleas and threats from parents and coaches I quit. Almost 2 years later now and I honestly do not miss this at all and find no importance in it at all with no regret for my choice.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I was really interested in journalism in high school (wrote for the school newspaper and helped to put it together), and thought about making it my major in my college years. I decided not to, and I'm glad. I was never interested in broadcast journalism and newspapers are becoming less relevant. Plus too many "journalists" have made opinion more important than a strict reporting of facts.

So I did lose interest, but I guess I'm happy that I did because it let me to psychology and eventually social work.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
The main thing that interested me growing up was sports and I've never lost interest in that. Same as wrestling. I started watching when I was 8 years old and am still going strong.

I guess I would have to say drawing, reading books and writing. When I was younger I would draw all the time. Everything I could think of. Wrestling stuff, sports stuff, characters from the Nintendo games etc. I would read all the time too. I was in reading programs at the library and would get prizes for hours of reading. I also drew an awesome painting when I was 6...it was pretty good for a kid that young.

I stopped writing in college. I blame the internet and cable TV for me stopping those things.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Thanks Elly. I actually thought of this thread as I was listening to a Soundgarden song today, and I felt like I was practically forcing myself to listen to it because it's one of their best (Jesus Christ Pose) and I hadn't heard it in ages, but I wasn't interested in listening to it. And I thought, wtf I love Soundgarden, but that's happened the last couple of times I've tried to listen to them.
Yes this has happened to me, although I can't imagine losing interest in Soundgarden and specifically Jesus Christ Pose as that is such a great song from a great band.:p

I lost interest in baseball a couple of years ago for a bit but love for the game came back. I've lost a little bit of interest in the NFL although I still watch it. I'm just not as dedicated to watching the games as I used to be.