Losing calories

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
When you get go for a run on the treadmill, do you have problems burning calories? Yesterday I went on the treadmill for 45 minutes. These were my stats: My average speed was 9.6 km/h, my distance was 6.85 km and I shed 520 calories. I was also on a bit on an incline I think it was 2.0. Now I'd say that's not a lot of calories for a 45 minute jog on the treadmill, but it's probably because of my size, I only weigh around 126 pounds. So it's a bit hardy for me to shed those calories. Thoughts?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I definitely do not, I have very little cardio ability so I can burn calories fairly quickly. I just need the motivation sometimes!

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
If you workout earlier in the morning then your metabolism will be boosted for the rest of the day. You'll burn calories throughout the day that way.

Also, on a treadmill you can always burn more calories by increasing the speed over time. Once you get used to higher speeds you can burn more faster. In an hour on the treadmill I can burn close to 800 calories.

I prefer increasing speed vs. increasing incline. Both will increase the calories you burn though.

Blueyes

Registered Member
I usually burn anywhere from 600-800 calories on the ole treadmill for an hour and that's a combination of running and walking on the higher elevations because there is no way I'd run for an hour willingly lol

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Honestly, I never pay attention to what the machine says on calories. It may be close, but I doubt it's accuracy. Unless it's constantly taking in your hbpm, I don't see how it would be an accurate gauge of how much you're burning.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I do increase the speed through my run. I started off at 9 km/h and ended up at 13 km/h. I've never done an hour on the treadmill before that counted calories, but I am sure if I did it would be close to 700-800.

Usually however long I'm working out for I can just whack a zero on the end and that's how many calories I burn, according to the machine. So around 600 in an hour. I don't do running and obviously it depends on how much effort I give it, but it normally ends up that way. I don't really trust the accuracy either.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
One thing to keep in mind on a treadmill is that you'll burn more calories if you don't hold the handle grips. It's better to just run with the normal motion.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I never hold the handle grips, I don't need any handle grips when I go jogging or when I raced for the 100 meters. I see no reason to hold the handles when I run on the treadmill.