Los Angeles eyeballing an NFL Franchise

Discussion in 'NFL' started by icegoat63, Jan 6, 2010.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

LA is and will always be a huge Pro Sports market. Its an odd tale of oddness why they were never able to hold on to the Rams or Raiders... but maybe the Bills or Jaguars could be a better fit in the city of angels?

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I really hope a team goes to LA, I believe they deserve one and could easily support one as well.

With that being said, I don't want the Bills to move out there, but that's because I want the Bills to move to Toronto where they've been rumored to be going. I think it would do wonders to the NFL if they expanded to Canada.

3. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

This has to happen eventually. Its the most profitable sport in the world so the big city of LA needs to have a club.

I think Jacksonville makes the most sense. Nobody supports that team.

4. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Can somebody fill me in on why the NFL doesn't just create a whole new team instead of taking another? Is there some sort of limit on how many teams are allowed into the NFL, or something?

5. icegoat63

It screws with scheduling bad.... and I'm fairly certain that if you make one team... you have to make another. Thats usually why Expansion Drafts usually have Even numbers of teams, 2 or 4 as we've seen in the past in the NFL and other Sports. And the more teams you have in the league, the lower the level of skill will drop. Obviously the more people are let in... the bigger your market is. I'm not saying 1 or 2 more teams is gonna make the NFL a league of hacks... but if we got in a habit of adding teams whenever a city wanted one... next thing you know every city has an NFL team and there are 70 some teams drafting out of their local Community Colleges.... guys that would have normally never had a shot at the NFL we know.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  6. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

This is the first I'm hearing of this. What the fuck, my life just keeps getting better and better.

Sad that I get a percentage of my major news stories here now, haha ("You know you've been on GF too much when...") although I will say that as a group we're pretty good about citing our sources.

7. icegoat63

I was a little surprised I had the honor of posting it! Usually Millz or Babe or even Echoes eat up these Football news things. This one was only about 3-4 hours old when I posted it

One thing in my opinion is for certain though... if they move the Raiders again to LA... I'm gonna be sick to my stomach. If any California Teams HAVE to be moved I would prefer the Chargers be moved a little closer to me ;) The Niners and the Raiders should just stay where they're at.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  8. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I've heard rumors of this. I know that plans for the stadium are in progress. I really think that the Jags will end up there. No one seems to care about them and they would benefit from the move more than the Bills. Buffalo has a very dedicated fanbase.

9. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Yeah there are already 32 franchises in the NFL so making it 33 would screw everything up and they'd have to add a 34th team.

I still cannot believe its taken this long to get a team in LA...its ridiculous.

10. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

I had heard rumors about the Chargers, come to think of it. My son is a writer for profootballcentral.com and was telling me about them possibly moving north when he was up here a few months back. Thought nothing of it at the time, but now it sounds a lot more plausible.