• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter?

Vegito728

Registered Member
Both are very popular book series and both have had very good movie adaptations. So which of the two do you prefer in both book and movie?

I haven't read any of the Harry Potter or LoTR books. I've seen all 3 of the LoTR movies and the first 3 Harry Potter movies though.

For me this is pretty easy, LoTR >>>>> Harry Potter. The movies were just fantastic. I’ve enjoyed the Harry Potter movies that I’ve seen but they don’t even come close to the LoTR series. Imo of course.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Both are very popular book series and both have had very good movie adaptations. So which of the two do you prefer in both book and movie?

I haven't read any of the Harry Potter or LoTR books. I've seen all 3 of the LoTR movies and the first 3 Harry Potter movies though.

For me this is pretty easy, LoTR >>>>> Harry Potter. The movies were just fantastic. I’ve enjoyed the Harry Potter movies that I’ve seen but they don’t even come close to the LoTR series. Imo of course.
You can't really answer this until you've read and watched both boooks/movies. You're basing your opinion simply on the movies.

Of course LoTR movies are better than HP. However, I've read both books and the HP book series was way more enjoyable for me to read than the LoTR books. A point for each.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Lord of the Rings for sure. Although I'm biased because I've never even started reading a Harry Potter book and haven't seen any of the movies.

But LOTR is more my style. I like the quest idea and the huge world of fantasy. It just seems more "realistic" and less fairy tale like, even though they are both obviously fictional.

dDave

V.I.P.
Lord of the rings I think is just a lot better I've seen some Harry Potter movies and they didn't impress me like LOTR did, not even close.

I don't like stuff where everything is based off of magic and magic must be used for everything.

Vegito728

Registered Member
You can't really answer this until you've read and watched both boooks/movies. You're basing your opinion simply on the movies.

Of course LoTR movies are better than HP. However, I've read both books and the HP book series was way more enjoyable for me to read than the LoTR books. A point for each.

I'm not comparing the books since I have read neither series. I'm simply comparing the movies of both series which I have seen. In which case I preferred the LoTR series.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'd almost hate to say it, but Harry Potter is more fun to watch. Lord of the Rings is a masterpiece.. but it can get pretty dry and boring at times.

wolfheart

Registered Member
Having read the books and seen the films of both series,i would have to say the lord of the rings trilogy are better films,but i got more enjoyment reading the harry potter books.They were just not as heavy as the lord of the rings books,so easier to read when i got time

micfranklin

Eviscerator
I find Harry Potter books easier to read because Rowling wrote them in modern-day English as opposed to Tolkien's LOTR which wasn't.

Of course the LOTR movies > Harry Potter because the Harry Potter books just don't include as much detail and events from the books as the Lord of the Rings movies did.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
LotR wins in the movie category but not in the book category. I tried to get through the Fellowship and holy hell was it boring. Tolkien could go on for pages about a single acorn hanging from a tree, it's annoying and makes me lose interest. It's like shopping with someone who wants to see every store, you just wish they'd make up their minds and stop stalling and lallygagging. Harry Potter books are fun to read and easily accessible yes, but they aren't that well written if you really pay attention.

Movies: LotR
Books: Harry Potter