• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Looks like an NHL team is coming to Las Vegas

Crypticshock

Registered Member
As long as someone bitch slaps Foley until he finally says "shinny" instead of "shiney"... It's isn't called after the suns glare from the ice...

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Could it just be that Canadians are butthurt that Canada didn't get the team and another warm climated US city did?

just sayin...please don't hurt me haha

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
What an atmosphere they're going to have there with a stadium [half] full of tourists and high rollers.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Could it just be that Canadians are butthurt that Canada didn't get the team and another warm climated US city did?

It’s worked well in Florida and Arizona/Phoenix – why not add another one?!

Crypticshock

Registered Member

Nope. They want a team in Quebec. Over 80,000 members in a group trying to get them back. Thousands of fans travel to NHL cities to wear the Nordiques blue at games. People have already paid MILLIONS of dollars to have ice level seats in the area - while it was being built. They are hungry for it. If it wasn't for a dollar that was at $0.68 during the expansion process they would have got their team. They are not paying $650M+ for an expansion when Winnipeg got a team for less than $200M 3 years ago. $500M is insane when over half of the league aren't worth $500M.

Nothing about Vegas. The NHL needs 32 teams so it had to go somewhere.

2-3 years from now they will get their team...

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
It’s worked well in Florida and Arizona/Phoenix – why not add another one?!
It's a completely different situation in Las Vegas though....different than any other place any team has ever been.

So how anybody knows how this is going to work (good or bad) is beyond me.

Nope. They want a team in Quebec. Over 80,000 members in a group trying to get them back. Thousands of fans travel to NHL cities to wear the Nordiques blue at games. People have already paid MILLIONS of dollars to have ice level seats in the area - while it was being built. They are hungry for it. If it wasn't for a dollar that was at $0.68 during the expansion process they would have got their team. They are not paying $650M+ for an expansion when Winnipeg got a team for less than $200M 3 years ago. $500M is insane when over half of the league aren't worth $500M.

Nothing about Vegas. The NHL needs 32 teams so it had to go somewhere.

2-3 years from now they will get their team...
I hope they get the team...I wore my Quebec Nordiques t-shirt the day they were "deferred" and Vegas got their team.

Just makes me laugh when Canadians are all up in arms...roar...Canada baby.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.

Can you blame them, though? We have good reasons. There should be more than seven Canadian teams in the NHL. Not saying that Canada should have the same amount as the U.S, because that would be silly, but to see so many American cities get hockey teams that don’t deserve them while there are some hockey markets that do not get any is pretty frustrating.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Oh I don't care what they do... but a team in Quebec means money. More money than a gamble on Vegas. They'd sell out a ticket drive within minutes and have a waiting list larger that some teams have actual season ticket holders. They will get a team - I can assure you of that. The NHL has a good relationship with Quebecor already with TVA. Quebecor is perfectly aligned to get the first expansion team or relocation unless Seattle can make an arena in 4 weeks lol

Imagine - if you will - an outdoor series between Quebec vs Montreal. One outdoor game in Montreal, the other in Quebec. *drools*

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Can you blame them, though? We have good reasons. There should be more than seven Canadian teams in the NHL. Not saying that Canada should have the same amount as the U.S, because that would be silly, but to see so many American cities get hockey teams that don’t deserve them while there are some hockey markets that do not get any is pretty frustrating.
I am mostly playing the part of the devil's advocate because I 100% support a team in Quebec...and other places in Canada as well. I just think the fact the NHL is getting to Vegas first is a smart idea and worth the, dare I say it, gamble. I don't think Bettman hates Canada or anything...I don't really know what his mind set is...so hell, maybe he does.

With that said it is definitely not working in Arizona or in the Miami area but Bettman is very stubborn in pulling the plug. It woulda made more sense to relocate rather than add teams...30 teams is enough damn teams.

Oh I don't care what they do... but a team in Quebec means money. More money than a gamble on Vegas. They'd sell out a ticket drive within minutes and have a waiting list larger that some teams have actual season ticket holders. They will get a team - I can assure you of that. The NHL has a good relationship with Quebecor already with TVA. Quebecor is perfectly aligned to get the first expansion team or relocation unless Seattle can make an arena in 4 weeks lol

Imagine - if you will - an outdoor series between Quebec vs Montreal. One outdoor game in Montreal, the other in Quebec. *drools*
yeah I hear ya...I mean did he ignore what happened in Winnipeg a few years back? There have got to be other reasons that we are unaware of...or he's just a tool. 500 million bucks is out of control.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I think as far as the success of a team in Vegas, there are just so many factors in play with it being a unique place that we really don't know how this will turn out until we're about 5 years in or so. We can speculate until we're blue in the face.