Looking after your laptop battery

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Nixola, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

I think this would be quite a common computer related question, so I was hoping someone could advise me.

I bought a brand new laptop and I'm wondering how to best look after my battery?

I've done some research already, but I thought I'd get the opinions of people here. I've read that I should take the battery out of the laptop while its plugged in at the wall, then I also read that I shouldnt take it out... :shifteyes: so does anyone have any advice?

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

What I do is that I only plug in to my laptop when there's only five minutes left in battery power. I'll let it charge all the way to 100% and when that's done I'll remove it. It's a good way to keep your battery for a very long time.

3. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

I always keep my battery in because my computer is not connected to a UPS. If you're connected to a UPS, take out the battery. If you frequently disconnect from the power supply, follow the above suggestion.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

This.

If you're going to recharge it's usually best to let the battery die almost completely. It's the same way with phones and ipods.

5. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

Yup, BR and Cons have already said it. Rechargeable batteries always last longest if you let them die all the way before recharging them.

6. Arathald

Arathald Registered Member

The other thing to keep in mind is that heat is the enemy of battery life. Keeping the computer plugged in for a long time with the battery on on some models of laptops, in addition to the normal problems of keeping the battery on the charger, can make the battery heat up quite a bit and kill your battery life.

7. generalblue

generalblue Where is my Queen?

Since you just got that computer, what I would do is drain the battery power all the away charge it back up and do it for a minimum of 4 or 5 times. Then basically do what Babe Ruth and Cons said.

I personally use the battery when I am not around my ac adapter, but when I am next to one, I will charge it up first and once it is done charging, take the battery out and use the ac adapter.

8. ATARIGUY

ATARIGUY Beermister

How long does a battery last when fully charged ??

9. generalblue

generalblue Where is my Queen?

Depends on the laptop's model and type of battery. I have a 6 cell and a 9 cell battery for my laptop, and my 6 cell battery will typically last about 2 and a half hours, while my 9 cell last about 5 and a half hours. Most laptops now come with 6 or 8 cell batteries and the average laptop is about 2 and half to 3 hours. 8 cell batteries last 4 hours.

10. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I never knew that you're meant to let it die completely before charging. I guess I should start doing that. Generally I just leave mine charging at all times