• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Looking after your area.

wolfheart

Registered Member
Do you tidy up after your self when doing anything in the great outdoors?.

Over the weekend I decided to have a few hours fishing in the early evening and headed out to a local lake on saturday, I was disgusted when I got bank side to find litter strewn all over the place, it took me over an hour to clean up everything from old food wrappers to broken bottles.

When the local police officer came round to check my license I had a word about it with him, as any angler who does this gives the rest of us a bad name, and was supprised when he said that no one had fished there for two days but there had been a lot of people using the area for a pick nic early in the afternoon.

Now the area I was in had 4 bins ranging from twenty feet away to 60 feet, so the only reason I can see for the rubbish being left there is they were to lazy to do that HUGE walk.

Do you get this at the areas you use, is there any way to curb behavior like this, extra signage maybe, or is it a mentality that will never change if the people doing it are only using the area a few times a year.

Sadly my brother had the same thing at the river the next day, even worse is the fact that it was anglers who had left crap everywhere.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I really hate seeing litter all of the place. I always clean up after myself, but there's no way I can take care of everybody else's trash too. It's a shame that some people are so lazy and inconsiderate.

wolfheart

Registered Member
The thing that really gets me is that everybody uses the lakes I go to, walkers, pic nikers dog walkers, familys even school outings but if there is any rubbish left on the bank side it is the fisherman that get all the blame, yes some of the people that fish there do leave litter but a we get the blame for ALL litter left.

A few weeks into the season we got given leaflets about it, only the people fishing received these, there were none put up for everyone else to get the info, so it would seem that we have no choice but to tidy up after everyone or lose the right to use the lakes for our preferred pastime, even though we are the ones who have to pay a fee to use the park, the whole thing annoys the hell out of me.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I've always gone by the rule of what you Pack in you Pack out.

There are always all sorts of litter up around the National Parks here due to their excessive traffic from people who either never see the woods and dont get the concept of Respecting them or thats just how they are, the whole "you wouldnt do that at your house would you?" ... well they would.

Everytime we went up camping, hiking, hunting, or just even up for a picnic I've always had at least one spare trash bag with me. With the sole intent of if there is waste around me that is cluttering my woods, I pick it up. Its one of those things that if everyone who went up there used that mentality... the place would be spotless. So 'till everyone decides to, I'm just one human doing what I can right ;)

wolfheart

Registered Member
I've always gone by the rule of what you Pack in you Pack out.

There are always all sorts of litter up around the National Parks here due to their excessive traffic from people who either never see the woods and dont get the concept of Respecting them or thats just how they are, the whole "you wouldnt do that at your house would you?" ... well they would.

Everytime we went up camping, hiking, hunting, or just even up for a picnic I've always had at least one spare trash bag with me. With the sole intent of if there is waste around me that is cluttering my woods, I pick it up. Its one of those things that if everyone who went up there used that mentality... the place would be spotless. So 'till everyone decides to, I'm just one human doing what I can right ;)
This is my feelings on it exactly, if you can bothered to pack it in the first then you should be bothered to make sure you dispose of it or take it away with you.

I have started to take bags with me to clean up the places I will be because I know that there will be rubbish there from some inconsiderate idiot who could not arsed to carry his rubbish to the nearest bin.

Twitch

Registered Member
I always throw my stuff in the trash, unless it's biodegradable. I'll throw an apple core on the ground if I'm in the forest, but that's about it.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
On hunting trips I always pack up. I pack light too. I only bring what I can carry on me.

Impact

V.I.P.
Okay, well i'll admit when I was a kid i've thrown a few pieces of litter on the ground here and there when out tramping with the family, mainly because I did anything my parents told me not to. But now I find it disgusting that people just throw their rubbish anywhere, especially when there is a bin a few meters away. I don't go as far as picking up other's rubbish, but if I have some i'll put it in my pocket/bag until I get to a bin, or take it home with me.

I have a spot I go out to think at, along the cliffs just out of town, and last time I went there, some surfers were just throwing their crap everywhere. You'd think as they use the place regularly they'd do a little more to keep it tidy.

dDave

V.I.P.
As far as littering goes I definitely look after myself but there are simply too many people to pick up after, Echoes is right.

I don't agree with the whole global warming thing at all, I just see it as common courtesy to keep public places looking nice and clean, plus you never know what kid or animal might get a hold of your garbage and get sick or something.

littering is for lazy people, if I see somebody littering and am in a situation to easily tell them about it then I'll tell them almost for sure, I've had some dirty looks before, just stare the person down and they'll clean up after themselves :lol:

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
Yeh, it annoys me knowing people are employed to spend hours and hours picking up litter on the roadside, when if each person who contributed to the mess just made that 0.0001% extra effort of waiting until they got out of the car to put their rubbish in the bin. I hate seeing people throw junk out the window.
wolfy said:
Now the area I was in had 4 bins ranging from twenty feet away to 60 feet
That's the worst, when you see crap all over the floor and there are bins really close by.

I don't actually pick up litter when I see it though, unless it is literally right next to a bin. I don't really want to be carrying around someone elses rubbish with me.