• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Question Longest you've been unemployed

Bliss

Sally Twit
What's the longest amount of time you have been out of work? What were the reasons?

For me it was more than 2 years. The first year was my own fault because I'd just left school and was a typical lazy teen. The second year was still my fault because I left it so long, but I just couldn't find work. Nobody wanted to take on someone without experience. I applied for every office junior job I could see but I couldn't even get an interview.
I ended up signing on and joining a course where you go in to this place each day to actively look for jobs. The people that worked there would help you the best they could.
I eventually started getting interviews and ended up being accepted. I am still there more than seven years later. Loyal much?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Before I started the job I'm in now, I was out of work for almost 16 months. Part of that was by choice because I was in school, and in Michigan you can get a waiver so that you can go to school while collecting unemployment benefits. Once I started looking in earnest, it still took me 6 months to find something, and then it was through a temp agency.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
When I was nineteen or so I got fired from my grocery job for doing something stupid. Till this day I regret doing it, but what's done is done.

After that happened, I had so much trouble trying to find jobs, it took me about eight months or so to find another one. But when I did find one, another place called me the next week. I lost a lot of money during these eight months since I was still paying room and board at my parents house, so I decided to keep the two jobs and I worked 64 hours a week. So, all I did was work, eat sleep for those six months. One of the most boring part of my life.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Probably coming up to about 4 years now. Actually, no, make that just three. Halfway through last year, I was on a work placement at a large retail chain called TJ Hughes. The work placement is just where you work for a company without them paying you. Anyway, at the end of the placement, I was offered a contract to work with them. I accepted, and was told things would be confirmed the next day.

Next day came, and they went into administration.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I didn't work during the first year of law school. Other than for about 4 months during college, that is the only time I was unemployed since I was 15. It's highly recommended that you do not work during your first year of law school and some schools require it. I can understand because of the time constraints that you have.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
The longest I have been unemployed I think was 3 weeks. I got called into work on my day off and my boss told me that I was no longer company material. What's funny, was that he hired me for another company he worked for a year later.

ATARIGUY

Beermister
I was unemployed for a year and a half and it sucked however I did side jobs when needed.

Impact

V.I.P.
The longest I've been unemployed was 1 year. The first 4 months of that I wasn't actively looking for a job though, so only really 8 months. And i'm sure if i'd been more motivated I could have had a job sooner.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well in college I didn't really work. I worked when I came home for the summer months but that was it. When I graduated from college I was finishing up an internship and then got another job right away and I've had that one ever since.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
The time I gave birth to my son until last year. Eight years. I had gigs every now and then, like private translation services, but not really like a thing I would call a regular job. I took out that much time off to give birth and raise 3 kids.