• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Long term online friends?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
So, do you have long term online friends? By this I mean people who you have known in one way or another (primarily online) for 5+ years. I've met a few people in person that I know online, but, most of them I know just over instant messenger, forums, email, etc.

It's weird because there are a few people that I used to talk to ALL the time a few years back who seem to have dropped off of the face of the earth a year or two ago. I haven't heard from them since.

Makes me wonder if anything happened? Considering that I don't necessarily have physical contact information for most people that I know online, I may never know what became of a few of the people I used to know online.

It's kind of a weird feeling in a way. Other times though, just when I am ready to assume the worst, somebody I haven't talked to in AGES pops up on AIM or MSN. It's always nice to see a familiar.. screen name. :D

Teorropy

Yeah, I have a couple of them, I talk to them, not all the time, but some of the time. We just have things that require our attention. But we still talk.

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
I have made a few good friends that I still talk to online or on the phone. Most people come and go pretty quick though.
Seems like the excitement of making a new friend wears out pretty quick for most people, especially since you both realize you'll probably never meet in this lifetime.
I guess the one plus is, there are many, many people out there to "meet".

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
I have online friends that I have had for 10 years now! it's amazing. None of us have ever met but we played an online game for 6 years together and bounced around from place to place from there. It is a weird feeling but you do grow to love these people like your family. for 6 years we spent about 4 hours a night together LOL Now we just talk over icq and stuff, about once a week but I think there is a storm a brewing about getting together again in an mmorpg!! Ha haha we do make a great team and when you have friends like that, who will watch your back it's good to keep em : ) :D

Psyco

Food Whore
I have a few friends that i've met online that i've talked to for like 2 or 3 years. I only got an IM client in like 2004, so i'm a bit behind the time.

Freedom

I have one net friend I've known for a little over five years. We have a lot in common and pretty much share the same interests so it has been very easy to maintain a relationship. I've also met (and maintained friendships with) a few people whom a mutual friend had met from the internet but I don't think that counts lol.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I have several, but it's mostly down to two right now. Everyone else either went their own way, or dropped off of the face of the Earth. There's a few from forums I'd like to know about, and I'm hoping that one shows up soon (he's off on a long trip).

Anyway, yah, online friends are a new development and I see, socially, no problem with them.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I have a few good online friends that I've known for several years. I met one of them in person a couple years ago. It was quite an awkward experience, but it was a good time and we're still good friends.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Speak of the devil.

I still want to know what happened to the PDC'ers Bacon, weznz, and Mirri 6 (we never figured out who he/she was/could have been); and there's so many members of this forum that come and go with less than 1000 posts that it's hard to keep track.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
After Bacon was gone for a long time, didn't he come back and say he tried to commit suicide and was hospitalized for a while? I saw him on MSN a few times several years back, but he never responded. Who knows where he is now.

weznz still posts at PDC every once in a while.

Mirri6, I have no idea.

Tons of other people who have disappeared.