Long Lost Friends

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
When reunited with a long lost friend, how does it usually turn out for you?

One of my HS best friends was online earlier and it's been 5 years since we last talked to each other. I got really excited and greeted her and asked how she was.

I don't know if it's because I've changed much in the past 5 years but the whole conversation was awkward. I didn't know what else to talk about and she didn't exactly encourage further discussion about what's happening. We didn't even manage to decently say "goodbye" to each other. We just let our silence speak that the conversation was over.

That's really sad. :( We used to very close and it's amazing how we acted like strangers.

On the other hand, there are people who (even if I haven't seen them for a decade) will always find that old spark between us when we meet again. Just like the old days. Yay!

Ceracyst

Registered Member
I went into high school knowing without a shadow of a doubt that 99% of the people I met there would be temporary fixtures in my life. And I was right, for the most part. I am contacted by them randomly on MySpace and Facebook but other than that, I really never have spoken with them.

I treat pretty much everyone that way, now that I think about it. It's probably why I've created very few lasting relationships with people in my life. Only those that stood out in an extraordinary way would make it out of certain phases.

I don't know. I feel you on the sad part though. Especially when it comes to people that you almost expect to have a more permanent instance in your life and they turn out to be just another face in the crowd.

Sucks.

I was walking home one day when I walked past an old friend from high school. He had a girlfriend with him and seemed like a man instead of that funny kid I once knew. It was very strange and I didn't really have anything to say. We talked for about 3 minutes until I ended with the conversation by saying I had to go. (Eh.. I hope that wasn't mean)

It's always awkward for me to talk to a person I haven't spoken to in awhile. Especially old friends. We are polar opposites and tend to have nothing in common. Sometimes there is that eerie silence, too. Ugh. ~.^

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
It happens a lot ysabel. To me, anyway.
I can only claim ever having 2 best friends.
One I met at the age of 5 and stayed her friend till today. But we are not best friends anymore, and nor do we chat much or say much to each other online. When we rarely meet in RL then for some reason we have lots more to say.
Many times I've bumped into ppl I've known from my past who were considered good friends, but our conversations at those meetings are stilted and awkward and very short.
Happens a lot at mutual friends' weddings.

Ceracyst

Registered Member
What annoys me is when the other person somehow tries to pin it on you that you two aren't friends anymore.

Anytime this happens I'm like "What the fuck? Are you serious? You do realize it takes two to tango, right?"

I don't have the patience for that kind of crap, so usually long lost friends that act like that stay long lost.

Bananas

Endangered Species
When reunited with a long lost friend, how does it usually turn out for you?
I attended a wedding last year where I met a lot of old friends, housemates, associates and colleagues. I felt really awkward and did not enjoy one minute of it, it was as if because our friendship did not persist that there was not much point of trying it again. It was odd making small talk with people I once knew, all the what you doing? where you living? questions got very tiresome and showing the anti-social side of me I must admit to not caring one bit about their business or continually repeating mine and by the end of the evening I had had enough. It all seemed rather inept and pointless.

I enjoy meeting new people, its the old ones that aren't as much fun, they lack the mystery and excitement of learning each other.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I had a friend from high school who I hadn't seen in probably five years and he was back in town and contacted me through MySpace, so he met up with me and some of my other friends and we hung out and drank until 6 in the morning. It's was like old times and it wasn't awkward at all. Of course we said we should hang out more often, but I've only seen him once since then.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
I really havent encountered too many friends from high school. I always kept most people at arms length in high school. I would have to say I can pick up right where I left off with any acquaintance from college (advantage of being from a small school).

You establish lifelong friendships in college I think. You are forced to be together in high school more or less.

Dragon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I recently added a whole bunch of my friends from highschool on facebook and some on facebook. After highschool. I moved back to Cleveland and I never saw my friends again but I still talk to one friend through AIM. My one bes friend from highschool got married and I got to be in his wedding and that was the last time I talked to him.

Easily-Amused

http://easily-amused.com/
i try my best not to make this awkward. it works sometimes.
it DOESN'T work when they are with a group of people who you don't know but they do. this happens a LOT at Bar/ Bat Mitzvas.

it never really turns out well, but it never turns out horribly either.