Loneliness can be contagious, new study finds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blackhorse, Dec 1, 2009.

1. blackhorse

blackhorse Registered Member

i found this great study that i think everybody can relate to online..its talks about how lonely people become more interactive online..they do social networking online more and such..and they also say that loneliness can be passed from one person to another..do u guys believe that? have u had such experiences? do u notice that in urself sometimes? ...i thought this was really interesting and i can relate to this..so i was just wondering what u guys thought about it :)

2. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I think just about any emotion can be passed from person to person. Why would loneliness be excluded? Happiness has always been contagious (or so we were always told) so this isn’t surprising at all.

3. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

Do you have a source to this study? I too believe many emotions can be passed on, but not loneliness, however, I see an element of truth in that statement, but not entirely.

I'd like to ready the study/findings first.

4. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

I find it kind of ironic that loneliness can be caught from other people when loneliness by defenition is the fact that you're on your own or can't relate to people around you.

5. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

i believe this as well. i think the more lonely a person is, the more he has the need to make social networking . anyway this can't be applied to everyone who is lonely or the fact that some of us may do much social networking doesn't mean we're lonely.
    but yeah ... it happens for lonely people to find themselves better online.
    and that's how they start to become less active in real life.

6. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Loneliness is also an emotion.

7. blackhorse

the source:
    Loneliness can be contagious, new study finds - Behavior- msnbc.com

i couldn do tis earlier cos i din have 15 posts yet :p

8. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

I think he means that if you're lonely, how is someone going to "catch" it from you?

9. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Yeah i don't think it's limited to loneliness. I know for sure anger is contagious as well as sadness. Happiness is probably the most obvious example.

10. blackhorse

well i m sure lonely people are not born that way..they just got that way due to circumstances so they would still have past friends and family and people around him/her..just that the person feels lonely..so its still possible for those around them to 'catch' it