• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

London Protests

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
I know this is a little late but it is still reasonably current. I'm all for peaceful protest and some may accuse my of being a 'loony-lefty' but the behaviour of the protestors in London was utterly shameful. The footage of the protestor throwing the fire extingisher of the roof and narrowly missing the cop disgusted me. The anarchists that piggyback genuine political movements purely to cause trouble overshadow and trivialise the whole point of the protest. The police are not the system -they do a hard job keeping the public safe and these students would be up in arms if they needed them and they weren't around...

Loyal-Friend

Registered Member
He went to prison for that behaviour, hopefully it will teach him a lesson.

I think most of the people causing the serious trouble weren't even students.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Unfortunately, there will always be loonies who infiltrate otherwise legitimate protests and often they make the legitimate protest seem like they're loony too.

There are times when police are "the system", but I would guess that it's the exception, rather than the norm. And even if they all are the system, attempting to inflict grievous bodily harm isn't going to solve anything - rather it's going to bring the whole system down on your head.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Yeah, violence is no good and it wont change anything anyway. I've read a lot of history and I noticed that the only times anything every changed much was when a king or a czar lost his head.
Anyway, protests cant fix the global economy cause the global economy doesn't work. It's total fail and nobody knows how to fix it. Well, now there will be a TON of new poor Brits sleeping in doorways with zero education. And they'll prolly turn into anarchists too.

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
The economy may be a dead horse getting flogged but there are times when protest would be effective. There is a global movement called Reclaim The Streets (RTS) which tries to hold impromptu parties in streets and on highways to highlight the loss of true public space aggressive marketing by corporations etc. It is a beautiful sentiment that when properly executed is pure and artistic. Some of these parties due to chaotic nature descend into riots at which point the message is totally lost.

Dekzper

Registered Member
The economy may be a dead horse getting flogged but there are times when protest would be effective. There is a global movement called Reclaim The Streets (RTS) which tries to hold impromptu parties in streets and on highways to highlight the loss of true public space aggressive marketing by corporations etc. It is a beautiful sentiment that when properly executed is pure and artistic. Some of these parties due to chaotic nature descend into riots at which point the message is totally lost.
I hope you're right and def props for anything that might help. :nod: I know a lot of history but I still dont know much about economics except some things I keep hearing in the news. So I dont get what "RTS" is but I hope it helps. I mean, I prolly dont have much to worry about but a ton of people do. And I just think they should have a chance to have a good life too.