Log out mid post

dk_rare

Registered Member
This has happened a few times, you spend AGES writing a wicked post, putting heaps of Google research into it, coding up awesome pictures and such... only when you click "post" it comes up with a "you need to sign in" screen. At this screen you can sign in, and lose your post with the "thread not recognised" screen. Or you can click "back" only to see your post is not there either.

So is it just my cookies or bad dial up that is doing this, or should I copy each post to clipboard before clicking "post"?

DON'T laugh, but this very thing happened the other day when I was writting THIS EXACT post bringing up this issue... only I forgot to copy it to clipboard :D

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
That happened to me once, but I was experimenting with some Norton settings at the time. Generally I never get logged out by accident or error. I'd suggest checking your firewall and privacy settings if you have any programs such as Norton or McAfee. That's usually the problem. Something is either causing the cookie to expire early, or to be deleted.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Used to happen to me on ezboard every so often. I don't know what would cause it on here, but if it happens, I would recommend highlighting and copying every long post you make before you click submit. Just be sure to actually COPY it with apple C every time. Don't be careless about it, otherwise you could end up highlighting all your text and pressing some other button like the spacebar, in which case it would instantly erase everything anyways. That has happened to me a good amount of times too. :rolleyes:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I get logged out on ezBoard a lot, but rarely while I'm typing out a post. Like Vega said, if I'm submitting a long post I usually copy it just in case it doesn't go through. And I have accidentally pressed the spacebar and erased it a couple times. Very frustrating.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
I remember doing that during one of Brents religious debates back in the day when I was first at PDC.... oooooo BOY was I hopping mad. If only people coulda seen. :lol:

dk_rare

Registered Member
00vega said:
Don't be careless about it, otherwise you could end up highlighting all your text and pressing some other button like the spacebar, in which case it would instantly erase everything anyways.
Yeah, but wouldn't Ctrl Z for undo just bring it all back?

But yeah, I will totally start copying each post. I think it mostly happens to long, thoughtful posts because more time is spent typing it up, thus there is more time for things to go wrong :shake:

*Ctrl A, Ctrl C*

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
dk_rare said:
Yeah, but wouldn't Ctrl Z for undo just bring it all back?
But you're forgetting one thing. You're not using a writing program. You're making a post on a messageboard that's run by your internet server setup, and that has no connection to the website you're at.

Wrecked

Registered Member
if you're using FireFox and have the Session Saver extention, it's pretty good at keeping the text you written when you hit the back button.

so if you happen to get logged out, press the back button and your post should still be present in the text box, copy it and log in and paste.

dk_rare

Registered Member
Except when you go back you only get the "please click reply to a post above thing", you don't get your old text back. Ctrl Z is working for me to bring text back, like if accidently delete it all on this page?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
CTRL Z works sometimes online. Actually I just had this logging out problem happen to me. The problem was I didn't check "Remember Me" when logging in. So keep that in mind. That is definitely part of the problem.