Location-wise, where is your loyalty?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tucker, Sep 15, 2008.

?

I'm closest to my...

1. city or equiv.

23.1%
  2. state or equiv.

15.4%
  3. country or equiv.

38.5%
  4. planet or equiv.

23.1%
  1. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Are you most strongly attached to a particular city/town/hamlet/hippie commune, county/state/province/shire/regional area, nation/territory, or the planet as a whole? Declare your highest geographical allegiance and explain why you feel that way.

Me, I'm going to go with Greater Los Angeles (basically, the contiguously well-populated area of L.A. County). I love California, but San Francisco is like a rival foreign land to me; I disown fair-sized chunks of my country as a whole; and I don't travel enough or take enough drugs to feel as though I'm a part of the world in general in any real sense.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008

2. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I'm most loyal to my country, (not state - the government are a load of $^#!&) the land itself.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I've moved around a good deal. I went with country.

4. funbunny

funbunny Registered Member

Oohhh i'd say loyal to my country but we arent allowed to say that over her as it makes you a racist.

5. Obsessiforge

Obsessiforge - Diderot Reborn -

planet...or equivalent XD

no, the way I see it declaring loyalty to anything smaller than a world is just acknowledging the division of humanity on what I see as completely arbitrary and human-made lines. Race is a man made concept that didn't exist for a long time. countries are lead by individual governments, true, but they are not only part of an international community, they are part of humanity as a whole.

allegiance to say, the US would imply that I side with the US in all conflicts, etc. and I can't claim that. humanity is where my loyalties lie, and if anyone needs to build an army to fight off an alien invasion?

well...I'm a coward too. I mean a pacifist! I'm a pacifist!

Boredie likes this.
  6. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I'm proud to be Welsh and place great value on my Celtic heritage. This also makes me British but I hold little patronage towards the UK, Cardiff is my Capital not London. I have very limited fondness towards Britain in its entirety.

I consider myself European and support the unification of Europe to a common ideal. I feel at home in most European countries and this too makes me proud of them.

I am not proud of the planet or humanity as a whole, we abuse some, shit on others, sweep under the carpet what we don't like to see and are generally a bunch of selfish ignoramouses.

So for me its Wales and Europe. Not sure where that fits on the poll?

7. Sim

Sim Registered Member

Very similar to Bananas, in my case:

I love my city of Berlin, so I guess I am most loyal to it. It's my home and I love living here.

But I also feel more or less at home in other EUropean countries, and I am very much in favor of European integration and EU.

So city of Berlin and EU, it is for me.

8. agphoenix

agphoenix Everything goes.

I've traveled a lot, I've always felt a concoction of feelings. Everywhere I went, I saw things that broke my heart. But I also saw things that made me proud of being part of some incredible human decency and indestructible souls.

Like myself as a human being the world self-destructs, but also manages to blossom as an entity. There's so much we can do.

My loyalty is to the one place where we all stand together, for better or worse...this planet.

I am SUCH a WUSS! :duh:
    It's all true though.

9. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Interesting and gratifying responses. I didn't think anyone would pick "planet," but there we are. Very admirable, that.

Nor am I. I should have anticipated the usefulness of an "other" poll element. My apologies for the restricted array of choices; I guess I can't help but think like an American.

10. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

I moved around a few times growing up, but i stand by my town and even more so to the house i grew up in; i have a dream of buying it back one day.