Location of My Documents folder for new users.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by newone, Nov 22, 2006.

1. newone

newone New Member

Hope this makes some sense.

Situation:
    Several Windows XP machines.
    Computers used as communal machines.
    No server storage solution.
    PCs are part of a Windows domain.
    Hard drives partitioned with a C: (system) and D: (Data) drive.

As data is to be saved on the D drive, is it possible for a My Documents folder for each new user to be created on the D: and not the Documents and Settings folder e.g. D:\jbloggs’s Documents?

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Hmmm, very interesting. I see exactly what you mean, but I'm not sure if this is possible or not. I've always just left it as the default but maybe some other Windows admins can offer some input?

Anyone else have any ideas?

3. Thermal

Thermal Registered Member

Create a Template account with the Home Folder Path set to "D:\%username%'s Documents". When adding a new user, just copy (Highlight Template account, right-click, and select copy) this Template account. You should also disable this Template account after creation for security reasons.

4. Penguin

Penguin Registered Member

Thermal - is there a way to change existing users' "My Documents" location, or would one have to delete existing users and recreate them for this to work?

5. Thermal

Thermal Registered Member

You can manually change it by right-clicking My Documents and repointing it to another folder. You will be asked if you want to copy all your current data over. If I had to do a large number of existing users, I'd probably just setup a login script that copies everything over and repoint "My Documents". There is probably a better way, but I can't think of any off hand. In an ideal world, you'd want to setup folder redirection with DFS.