Hardware Local TV Antenna

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Anyone have a local TV Antenna?

I currently don’t have internet and don’t want to ever pay for cable so the antenna is a life saver.

I’m lucky to live where I do. Not only are there a good number of channels (about 25), the reception is also amazing as the broadcast towers are on top of a nearby mountain that overlooks the whole city.

I just have a simple unit that goes on the shelf by my TV. My brother in law just wired up an aerial roof antenna.

Gotta love free TV service :)

Who else uses one?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wish I could but where I live you would get nothing. I do get free TV on satellite. At least a dozen channels many in HD. It was my husbands hobby before he died so how long I will be getting this I don't know.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Wish I could but where I live you would get nothing. I do get free TV on satellite. At least a dozen channels many in HD. It was my husbands hobby before he died so how long I will be getting this I don't know.
You’re probably in luck. Stuff like this gets phased out/upgraded very slowly.

My brother in law just connected his aerial antenna which is from like 1983, cables and everything. Received UHF and VHF frequencies and still works just fine.

My guess would be that your equipment will work fine for many years. Granted, you may need to have an upgrade at some point to any type of interfaces or amplifier/distributor boxes you may have (you may have 0, in most cases they’re not technically required). All you should need to do for the most part is retune your channels every time you get a new TV and it should be ok.

If you ever have questions, feel free to ask!

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
You’re probably in luck. Stuff like this gets phased out/upgraded very slowly.

My brother in law just connected his aerial antenna which is from like 1983, cables and everything. Received UHF and VHF frequencies and still works just fine.

My guess would be that your equipment will work fine for many years. Granted, you may need to have an upgrade at some point to any type of interfaces or amplifier/distributor boxes you may have (you may have 0, in most cases they’re not technically required). All you should need to do for the most part is retune your channels every time you get a new TV and it should be ok.

If you ever have questions, feel free to ask!
I hope it lasts for a long time. The main equipment I have is a HD receiver and a big dish with an lnb on it. Which at some point I'm sure I will have to replace the receiver and lnb. The big problem will come in when the channels decide to switch satellites. Then you have to find them and scan them in. I'll have to figure out how to do a scan. Wish I had done it while he was still here.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I hope it lasts for a long time. The main equipment I have is a HD receiver and a big dish with an lnb on it. Which at some point I'm sure I will have to replace the receiver and lnb. The big problem will come in when the channels decide to switch satellites. Then you have to find them and scan them in. I'll have to figure out how to do a scan. Wish I had done it while he was still here.
Just shoot me a PM.

It’s really not too hard to do a rescan on most devices. I should be able to help you through it.