• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Local terminology/phrases that you thought were global

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
I remember talking to an American on MySpace and he told me that he was pissed.
I was saying how good it was, and that I hadn't been pissed for a while, but I was looking forward to it at the weekend or whenever.

To him, he meant it as a short version of 'pissed off' whereas I meant it [as they all do here] as in 'drunk.'
Here, to be pissed is to be drunk, and to intend to get drunk in a pub/party, you are 'off out on the piss.'

The same guy [on MySpace] tried to compliment me telling me that it was sick. I can't remember what 'it' was but, but I asked if he maybe misunderstood what I said.
I thought he meant it was 'disgusting' but apparently, it also means 'good.'
I got mixed-up [I was stoned] weeks later, and he had some pics of his Hip-Hop band up, and I said 'They are shit.' [I meant 'sick.']
Just as well we knew each other.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I remember talking to an American on MySpace and he told me that he was pissed.
I was saying how good it was, and that I hadn't been pissed for a while, but I was looking forward to it at the weekend or whenever.

To him, he meant it as a short version of 'pissed off' whereas I meant it [as they all do here] as in 'drunk.'
Here, to be pissed is to be drunk, and to intend to get drunk in a pub/party, you are 'off out on the piss.'

The same guy [on MySpace] tried to compliment me telling me that it was sick. I can't remember what 'it' was but, but I asked if he maybe misunderstood what I said.
I thought he meant it was 'disgusting' but apparently, it also means 'good.'
I got mixed-up [I was stoned] weeks later, and he had some pics of his Hip-Hop band up, and I said 'They are shit.' [I meant 'sick.']
Just as well we knew each other.
Yeah, I've encountered the "pissed" confusion too.

Here, when we say (literal translation) "it's not terrible" it means it's bad. :dork:

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
Here, when we say (literal translation) "it's not terrible" it means it's bad. :dork:
Haha, I can see how that would work if there's lots of emphasis on the last word. But still, I'd use it with a more sympathetic tone. What about, "it's not bad"? Does that mean it's not good, either? lol

Impact

V.I.P.
Yeah, i've been confused with the pissed thing too.

I noticed a lot of differences when I was over in England recently. Even though I grew up there, I was staying in a different part of the country, and the phrases used just completely threw me. I remember we were at the pub, and my brother was like to me "We should throw a shape." That sure confused me, but it meant leave early or something like that. I would have used the term pyke, and that confused him. Another was 'dog shelf'. He told me to take a seat on the dog shelf. Yeah, that one means floor :dunno:

And don't even get me started on skulling. I thought that was global, but nope, apparently it's chugging everywhere else :lol:

Last edited:

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
Yeah, I've encountered the "pissed" confusion too.

You in this thread reminds me of French at School, we had an exchange student/teacher and I or someone in the class said 'I may as well be talking to a brick wall!' to which he said "Talking to ze breeek wahllllll? what iz dis? Hmm, oh yez, I know now, we have ze phrase 'I may as well be pissing in a violin!'"
Technically that's off topic since it's two different languages, but in fairness it was all said in English. :p