Local terminology/phrases that you thought were global

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
I remember talking to an American on MySpace and he told me that he was pissed.
I was saying how good it was, and that I hadn't been pissed for a while, but I was looking forward to it at the weekend or whenever.

To him, he meant it as a short version of 'pissed off' whereas I meant it [as they all do here] as in 'drunk.'
Here, to be pissed is to be drunk, and to intend to get drunk in a pub/party, you are 'off out on the piss.'

The same guy [on MySpace] tried to compliment me telling me that it was sick. I can't remember what 'it' was but, but I asked if he maybe misunderstood what I said.
I thought he meant it was 'disgusting' but apparently, it also means 'good.'
I got mixed-up [I was stoned] weeks later, and he had some pics of his Hip-Hop band up, and I said 'They are shit.' [I meant 'sick.']
Just as well we knew each other.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I remember talking to an American on MySpace and he told me that he was pissed.
I was saying how good it was, and that I hadn't been pissed for a while, but I was looking forward to it at the weekend or whenever.

To him, he meant it as a short version of 'pissed off' whereas I meant it [as they all do here] as in 'drunk.'
Here, to be pissed is to be drunk, and to intend to get drunk in a pub/party, you are 'off out on the piss.'

The same guy [on MySpace] tried to compliment me telling me that it was sick. I can't remember what 'it' was but, but I asked if he maybe misunderstood what I said.
I thought he meant it was 'disgusting' but apparently, it also means 'good.'
I got mixed-up [I was stoned] weeks later, and he had some pics of his Hip-Hop band up, and I said 'They are shit.' [I meant 'sick.']
Just as well we knew each other.
Yeah, I've encountered the "pissed" confusion too.

Here, when we say (literal translation) "it's not terrible" it means it's bad. :dork:

Here, when we say (literal translation) "it's not terrible" it means it's bad. :dork:
Haha, I can see how that would work if there's lots of emphasis on the last word. But still, I'd use it with a more sympathetic tone. What about, "it's not bad"? Does that mean it's not good, either? lol

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Yeah, i've been confused with the pissed thing too.

I noticed a lot of differences when I was over in England recently. Even though I grew up there, I was staying in a different part of the country, and the phrases used just completely threw me. I remember we were at the pub, and my brother was like to me "We should throw a shape." That sure confused me, but it meant leave early or something like that. I would have used the term pyke, and that confused him. Another was 'dog shelf'. He told me to take a seat on the dog shelf. Yeah, that one means floor :dunno:

And don't even get me started on skulling. I thought that was global, but nope, apparently it's chugging everywhere else :lol:

Last edited:

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
Yeah, I've encountered the "pissed" confusion too.

You in this thread reminds me of French at School, we had an exchange student/teacher and I or someone in the class said 'I may as well be talking to a brick wall!' to which he said "Talking to ze breeek wahllllll? what iz dis? Hmm, oh yez, I know now, we have ze phrase 'I may as well be pissing in a violin!'"
Technically that's off topic since it's two different languages, but in fairness it was all said in English. :p