• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Local Languages in Films

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I am re-watching The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel as it is a truly lovely and wonderful film but one thing occourd to me and has done in similar films.

There two kind of language Indian and English

Therefore in the the film there should be three types of dialect in the film:

Indian to Indian
English to English
Indian to English

There are multiple scenes where you see Indian people speaking with other Indians in extended conversations, why would they talk in English? Would it not make more sense and more realistic to have them talking in Indian and have subtitles? It bothers me when films do this. For example if you have someone who is French, they will slip in the odd French word to make it clear they are French and then go straight back into English, why would you not just talk in English constantly if they is what is required?

I ask this question as if I do not know the answer, I know the answer, ask most of the general public to sit through a film with subtitles and most will switch off, this is not a knock at them it is the truth, I have heard people say "I don't go to the cinema to read" and that's fine, you are missing some of the great works of art but fair enough.

It may be that once again I am being to criticize and digging to deep into the film and that my expectations of how real a cinema experience should be but it is something I wanted to get out.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
It doesn't really bother me, but I get what you're saying. They did that in Bruno where a couple of background characters would speak audibly in German and there be no subtitles. To an extent, yes, it can be a bit annoying, but I think directors do that to sort of add a flavor of authenticity to the picture. It's like if you went Germantown or Chinatown or whatevertown in real life and saw two people conversing in a foreign language; it's not like you'd have subtitles in real life, right? I dunno, that's just how I see it. It just makes it a lot more realistic, to me at least.

And I totally agree about people who refuse to watch movies with subtitles. That's their loss, though. Because there are hundred upon hundreds of awesome foreign language films out there.

Also, fyi, not that it's a big deal or anything but Indian isn't really a language. It's an ethnicity. I believe the language you're referring to is actually Hindi, unless I'm mistaken. The more ya know, right?