• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Politics Local/European Votes 2014

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Very soon here in the UK and indeed Europe the elections will be coming up and people are out in force, one in particular is the UKIP as many people in the UK may already know.

At the moment there biggest campaign leaflet is stating: "Out politicians have allowed open-door immigration. Only UKIP will take control"

This is a phrase that has been thrown around a lot, this open door immigration policy basically saying that if you have come into this country from somewhere else before the second world war you are a burden on society, of course they could never say that, the BNP might but the UKIP have a bit more nonce than that. Someone once asked the difference between UKIP and the BNP, I said the UKIP are basically BNP without the whimsy and the BNP are basically the UKIP without the actual intelligence.

We keep on being told to fear people from other countries, the being part of the EU is killing out economy and how if we do not close our doors, stop answering the buzzer in Dover and do not stop everyone who as not born into this country "stealing our jobs" & "exploiting our welfare system" we will crumble as a country.

I cannot support the BNP or the UKIP, they are such a mindless group so intent on scaring people into believing them and if they do not vote for them all hell will break out, we don't need that, we had that when George W Bush was brainwashing Tony Blair and god we still haven't been able to move on from it.

I will be voting and I am just unsure who for because last time I did my vote was wasted on the idiot Nick Clegg.

Oh, and if you haven't seen any of the UKIP posters (which most of you won't), here are just two:

Sim

Registered Member
Yuck, the UKIP indeed looks stupid and ugly. Basing their populist stances on nothing but hate and fear is really disgusting... why not make constructive proposals for a change?

In Germany, we have such parties too, but fortunately, they're not that influential (yet). There are the National Democrats (NPD), they're hardcore neo-Nazis. But they've never won more than 1.6% of the votes. They're perhaps a little like the BNP.

More moderate and more successful is the "Alternative for Germany" (AFD). They've won 4.7% in the 2013 federal election and are polled at 6% now. They're less extreme, but skeptical of immigration too and especially anti-EU and anti-euro currency.

I'm not sure yet which party to vote for. In the past, I usually voted for the progressive Green Party or the center-left Social Democrats, but this time, I am considering giving a small party my vote (because for the first time in Germany, parties get represented even when they win less than 5%, so my vote wouldn't be wasted). Although they're amateurish and often chaotic, I sympathize with the Pirate Party who are against surveillance and in favor of internet privacy and transparency.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have just been watching an interview with David Cameron pleading with voters not to go with the UKIP, that UKIP are basically basing things upon fear and anger, well, he kind of has a point. I did not like it when Cameron was voted in, I had not voted for Cameron I had voted for Nick Clegg and then the collation happened and well, who knows frankly.

What is true is that UKIP & the BNP have not responded yet so far as I can see so I am waiting to see how they respond to this.

Reactions: Sim

ReasontoBelieve

Registered Member
I have a question for sunrise? So you say there is an election coming up?
Is this the election for the Prime Minister? Does this mean that David Cameron is going to run for re-election? Or has he served his time and can't run for re-election?
Are you saying that David Cameron is running against Nick Clegg? I need to learn more about these British parties to see how they work.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Is this the election for the Prime Minister? Does this mean that David Cameron is going to run for re-election? Or has he served his time and can't run for re-election?
Are you saying that David Cameron is running against Nick Clegg? I need to learn more about these British parties to see how they work.
The US System and the UK System are slightly different in a lot of different ways. The main way it is different is that the a candidate such as Cameron can run as many times as he wants and he can be voted in as many times are people wish to have him unlike your system where someone can only run for two terms or eight years. He can also call for an election and time that he wants, this is generally done every four years but it can be done sooner if someone wishes to.

The second difference is that David Cameron and Nick Clegg whilst being in charge of two separate parties (Cameron in the Conservatives & Clegg being in the Lib Dems) they work together in a coalition because they did not both get enough votes to gain charge of the country. At this stage they are technically working together but are also technically work apart, sort of.

Hope this helps.

Elanor

Registered Member
The US System and the UK System are slightly different in a lot of different ways. The main way it is different is that the a candidate such as Cameron can run as many times as he wants and he can be voted in as many times are people wish to have him unlike your system where someone can only run for two terms or eight years. He can also call for an election and time that he wants, this is generally done every four years but it can be done sooner if someone wishes to.

The second difference is that David Cameron and Nick Clegg whilst being in charge of two separate parties (Cameron in the Conservatives & Clegg being in the Lib Dems) they work together in a coalition because they did not both get enough votes to gain charge of the country. At this stage they are technically working together but are also technically work apart, sort of.

Hope this helps.
The elections that are coming up are for the European Parliament, not the UK Parliament. The candidates up for election are basically our representatives in Europe.

Cameron was elected PM as his party, the Conservatives, received the most votes, but not enough to have a majority in the House of Commons, so to get a majority he made a deal with Nick Clegg, the leader of the Liberal Democrats, who then became Deputy PM as part of the Co-coalition agreement.

Over here terms are 5 years, we had a general election in 2010 and the next one will be 2015.

Just thought I would add extra information on top of Sunrise's post.
------
I am not 100% on which party I will vote for yet. I am on the side of those who think that the UK should keep as much control over our own laws and country as possible. I don't like the idea of Europe governing how we do things. I think maintaining positive relationships regarding how we trade and do business with Europe is important, but as far as laws go, we should make our own. However, UKIP isn't a party I identify with fully.

Last edited: