• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Living off the grid

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This phenomenon came to a head recently with one couple living in Huntsville, Alabama; the city has forbidden them from living off the grid, as they have attempted to do, and has threatened them with jail if they refuse to jump back in line.
http://www.naturalnews.com/050302_off_grid_living_municipal_governments_The_Matrix.html

I'm all for people's right to live off the grid if they want to but this man lived in town. If everyone did that can you imagine what that would be like, no sewer system. That could cause disease like it does in other countries where there is no sewer system.

If you want to live off the grid get out of town and have a few acres of land.

Personally I couldn't stand living off the grid, no TV, Internet, hot shower, no thanks.

Should this couple be allowed to live off the grid? Could/Would you live off the grid? Thoughts?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I didn't read the article, but no a person should not be allowed to live off the grid within a municipality that specifically forbids it, at least not without proving that it won't cause a public health issue. I guess I don't know all the ins and outs of living off the grid, but I don't see the point in doing it unless you have a few acres to farm.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Even if they kept it clean you know there would be others that would want to do it. Being a town where most have houses on small lots you just can't let something like that get started. I don't think I would want to live in a neighborhood where half the residents had out houses. Might not smell that great.

Now if you want to buy enough property outside city limits and do that I guess its up to you.

There are places here you might not have access to electric so you will be forced to live off the grid. I guess that's not bucking the system though.lol