• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

'Living in the shire' - Alternative Environmentally Friendly Housing

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
A Low Impact Woodland Home - StumbleUpon

This house looks really cool. I'd love to do something like this. I'm really sick of how similiar one house is compared to another. I LOVE walking through the older parts of town, or the ritzy parts of town and seeing unique houses. Each one with something different. The new housing developments these days are brutal. I didn't even know how bad it was until I started working in that field back when I was doing hardwood flooring. One house floor plan would literally be a mirror image of the house beside it.

I really wish houses like the one in the article were more popular. I want people to start fighting to be able to build their own unique homes.

How about yourselves? Are you sick and tired of these carbon copy houses? Would you like a unique home?

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
That is really cool looking house. I actually stepped foot in one of those homes before, I believe it was when I was living in San Antonio, TX. My co worker had a home sort of like this but not this cool. I would love to have a home like that. The smell of oak in the morning, oh yeah, can smell it already.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
The house looks great form the outside, but I don't know if it its that cozy.
Also, [depending on the location] houses made of wood make a great place for insects and similar species to live in. That would be terrifying for me to handle.
But I can't deny the fact that it looks cool.
It reminded me of the Alice in the wonderland.

Last edited:

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
How could that not immediately remind you of Lord of the Rings?
Because I haven't watched Lord of the Rings and never will.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Hey guys, this thread isn't about who's watched Lord of the Rings. Please get back on topic. Thanks.

Does anyone have any comments on the cookie cutter ways of housing development? Do you like to see unique homes or are you okay with every house being similiar?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
It was just a general question out of curiosity, and let's face it, if that house wasn't based off the designs from the shire in Lord of the Rings then I would be very surprised.

Either way owning a house like this one day is a dream of mine. I don't think I would like to live in it permanently, but if I had it as an escape it would be amazing.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
The Shire house is awesome. It'd be like living in a log cabin, only the coolest log cabin ever. I always imagined, though, that some sorta practical consideration got in the way of having awesomely creative houses every other block. Don't know, but I want one.