Live in space?!

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by kkid, Mar 2, 2008.

1. kkid

kkid Registered Member

do you think that the human race will ever be able to spend an entire lifetime in space?

i think that some day we will but at the moment we dont have good enough technology to do so. :sigh:

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Interesting concept. I think down the line it could be possible but there are so many things that we get from earth as far as growing that we would have to be able to duplicate in space.

I'd like to spend even just some time in space but I'm pretty sure that will never be happening.

3. kkid

kkid Registered Member

well its possibe for anyone to enter space now with absolutly no training, with the new space bus thing, you get about 7 seconds in space before landing back down to earth, the only problem is it cost over £1,000,000 :-o

4. soot

soot Registered Member

I think that it's inevitable that humans will eventually spend entire lifetimes in space. Provided we don't go extinct first (either as the result of our own doing or as the result of the natural processes that have been causing catistrophic extinction events since the dawn of life on Earth).

I don't think that it'll happen soon (either spending a lifetime in space or our species going extinct) but given a few thousand more years we'll almost certainly develop generational starships, or at least space stations or colonies on other worlds that either allow or require a life-long commitment.

5. Hi_Im_Tim

Hi_Im_Tim I am Heavy Weapons Guy

I think that humans will eventually be able to spend their entire lives in space, but not for a long time.

6. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

it certainly won't happen any time soon, it costs way too much money to launch something into space, plus there's having to worry about getting oxygen, heating that will not break down, losing power, getting food to the space station, making sure little children don't cause any problems.

there are still way too many things to think of before we do this.

7. Corona

Corona Registered Member

200 years. My prediction.

8. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

It might be the best option for overpopulation. New problems would arise like spaceship maintenance and currency, but we could feasibly have huge space stations and live up there in huge cities.

Things like astrophysics and rocket engineering would be like auto mechanics today, things the average person would learn to do early in life and gain a routine skill.

I'd love to live in space.

9. soot

soot Registered Member

What's wrong with genocide?

I kid, I kid...

10. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I read somewhere that the U.S. has a science team that has found out how to revive Mars' atmosphere, it seems a little crazy to me but humans living on mars would be pretty sweet, that would be the ultimate solution for overpopulation because Mars is actually quite rich in natural resources under it's surface and is was once just like Earth on a much smaller scale. The only problem that i see here is water where in the world would they get it?