Literature Game - TAKE A LOOK!!!

Discussion in 'Art & Creative' started by Chaos, May 24, 2009.

1. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

Now, this isn't really a game per se - it's more of a chance for authors (or just someone who wants to have a go at writing) to show off, have some fun, or just get some practise in.

The basis of this idea is to take on a specific topic, and, well, write about it. The topics will be decided beforehand, and could be anything from a popular movie saga, to a popular book/novel theme, or even something come up with via general consensus - so basically, just about anything.

The beauty and appeal (to me, anyway) about this, is instead of one person writing a solitary piece of work, this is a chance in the name of fun to work with others, to bounce off one anothers idea's, and come up with something off the top of your head. For instance: person A writes about something, and person B uses some of the information person A wrote about, if that makes sense. So, it's kind of like a literary Chinese Whispers, if you will. :D

Now, this thread is just to sort of get an idea of how many people would be willing to participate in this. Obviously I'll take part, and I'm hoping there will be a few more.

[highlight]Remember! You do not need any writing skills, or be a regular writer/author. This is just a chance to have some fun, maybe practise writing, etc.[/highlight]

2. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

You have my interest. But what is Chinese Whispers?

3. Chaos

Chinese Whispers? It's like a kids game where the person at the beginning of the chain says something - for example, elephant trunk - and whispers it in the next persons ear. It gets whispered right around the chain until the last person says it out loud. It usually gets distorted completely from the original. Something like, I have good luck, or something.

It was the closest analogy I could think of. :dunno: :D

4. AwkwardlyYours

AwkwardlyYours Registered Member

oh... we always called that the Telephone game.

5. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Same here.

)))))))))))))((((((((((((((

I could join in on the fun. I'm still not entirely sure what you're talking about, but sounds fun. Would it be be Person A writing a paragraph on whatever the topic is, then Person B expands on that, then Person C goes from there and so on and such forth?

6. Chaos

The Chinese Whispers part isn't really the point. What I mean is that, say if in person A's first post, Agent Seven gets killed. Person B could include that in his/her post. For instance, he/she could start with "With the death of Agent Seven..." etc etc. they don't have to use the information at all, but what they couldn't do is write as if Agent Seven was still alive, because though each writer is writing about specific characters (while Person A writes about Bob, person B writes about Jim, etc) and/or situations, the posts as a whole should be able to be read as different chapters of the same story, if you will.

Are you interested, AY?

7. AwkwardlyYours

I'm sort of interested, I think. I like to write a lot... So yeop. But I can't start... someone has to start and get this deal rolling. I have to be thrown in to something to understand it sometimes... lol

8. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I'm interested, but I'm still not entirely sure what we're supposed to do. I want to see it in motion before I try to contribute and just completely fuck it up.

9. AwkwardlyYours

Let me regurgitate the information you've fed me chaos, in my own words, to see if I got this right...

It's kind of like build a storyish?

Someone posts:

"With the death of Agent Seven..."

Someone else posts:

"Agent Eight would finally get his big break."

or something to that horrible effect (I couldn't think of anything quick... but yes...)

Just trying to get the idea? Or am I missing it completely...

10. Chaos

One way to look at it is this: we all choose/create a character. If my character is Sam, Hiei's character was Frank, and AY's character was Jimmy, and the topic was something to do with the Mafia, we would all write our own passage's about our characters, and only our characters. So, I could start us off by writing about Sam, a police officer, who's trying to bring the Mafia down. Meanwhile, Hiei is writing about Frank, a hitman for the Mafia, maybe writing about the jobs he pulls. And AY is writing about Jimmy, the new kid on the block, young and new to the Mob, an enforcer.

What I think makes this interesting is that, say if Hiei were to write about on of Frank's jobs, where he kills a guy, say, a banker, I could write about Sam, the cop, trying to figure out the who, how, and why of the hit - while AY can write about something completely different, or along the same lines. She could write about how Jimmy heard about Frank's job, or maybe she could write about how Jimmy does something completely unrelated. The point is, the information one of us write's about, could be used by one of the other writers/players in their own storyline. Essentially, it's like one book with several different storylines and characters, with different writing styles and perspectives. The trick is trying to mesh it all in at the end, because the characters we write about could never meet. Frank could never meet Jimmy, and Sam could never arrest Frank. At least not without collaboration between two or more authors, etc.

Does that make sense, sort of?

Last edited: May 24, 2009