• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

List: NBA Players Expected To Go Overseas

BigBob

Registered Member
Basically, so we have a nice list going, I wanted to get this started so that any player that agrees to a principle deal, close to a principle deal or rumors that we will have a nice, organized list.

Veterans
Deron Williams: Principle deal with Turkey team
Zaza Pachulia: Principle deal with Turkey team
Amare Stoudemire: Talking deals with NBPA to see what kind of contracts can be made.
Carmelo Anthony: Talking deals with NBPA to see what kind of contracts can be made.
Kobe Bryant: Same Turkey team with a principle deal with Deron is also trying to contact Kobe to try and get a deal as well.
Andrei Kirilenko: In talks with overseas teams, was currently denied by Real Madrid because of his salary demands.
Tiago Splitter: Will play with Brazilian National Team.
Dirk Nowitzki: Will likely play for Germany's National Team.
Sonny Weems: Signed deal with BC Zalgiris of Lithuiana.
Nicolas Batum: Close to deal with L'Est Republican (Nancy).
Darius Songaila: Close to deal with Lietuvos Rytas of Lithuania.
J.J. Barea: Expected to sign with team in Spain
DaJuan Summers: Signed deal with Montepaschi Siena of Italy.

Rookies:
JaJuan Johnson: In contacts with teams overseas to get a contract done.
E'Twaun Moore: In contacts with teams overseas to get a contract done.
David Lighty: Signed deal signed with Cantu, an Italian team.
Jon Diebler: Expected to sign with Cimberio Varese of Italy.
Derrick Williams: Same agent as Kobe, is trying to get them both signed to a China team.
Enes Kanter: Will play for Turkey in the EuroBasketball tournament.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Deron Williams seems to be closest to sign with a team overseas right now. If I read correctly he might be playing in a month or so from now if he's ready.

Also, Amar'e will only play if he can get good insurance if he gets injured. We all know about his history with injuries so he doesn't want to take the risk if he doesn't get what he wants.

I still have a hard time to believe Kobe Bryant will go play overseas, but time will tell I guess.

dDave

V.I.P.
If Kobe and Williams go overseas I guess that means that Turkey is going to just dominate. :lol:

They'd better get their act together so the Olympic team doesn't get screwed over.

I really hope the NBA gets a deal done soon because it would be really sad to see a lot of these players overseas for a long time, not to mention the fact that it would really mess up a lot of players stats.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I wonder why players are going overseas. Obviously there's the issues of money, but I'm thinking if it has anything to do with keeping sharp too. Some players can take the potential season long lockout to get that much needed surgery or something.

BigBob

Registered Member
If Kobe and Williams go overseas I guess that means that Turkey is going to just dominate. :lol:
He's actually expected to sign with a China team.

I wonder why players are going overseas. Obviously there's the issues of money, but I'm thinking if it has anything to do with keeping sharp too. Some players can take the potential season long lockout to get that much needed surgery or something.
Some of them really do just want to play.. plus, the big rumor is that if some of the big stars go over, some of them said they planned on not coming back. Sure, maybe it's a bluff. But a lot of players that aren't big names have already signed overseas, as well as rookies.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have a feeling that it's just a big bluff, I don't see any superstars staying over there when the season resumes. These players much rather play in the States(NBA) then overseas. The only player I can think of at the moment(that is decently known) that left to play outside of the US when he was a free agent is Josh Childress, and that only lasted a year. I know there's Iverson, but the reason he left is because no NBA team wanted him.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sonny Weems is the first NBA player to sign with a team overseas.

Raptors RFA Weems signs with Lithuanian team

He'll be there the whole year and there's no NBA-buyout clause if the NBA ends this lockout.

Personally as a Raptors fan, I'm not to bad about this decision. Sonny Weems is a bit of a hog in my book and he's not that important in our future plans to be honest.

I wish him all the best.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
NBA news is so slow with the lockout. I'm sick of hearing about Deron Williams and who could/will go overseas, and what that may/may not do for the NBA. They just keep saying the same things over and over again.

I'm just gonna wait til they finally start talking about a new cba deal again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pepper General Discussion 8
NellyBell Music 9
P Music 22
Hilander Breaking News 4
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 8