• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Liquor Purchasing Laws and You

Candicecanes

Registered Member
I'll start off with a little background of myself. I'm 21 years old, turning 22 in June. I live in Massachusetts, very close to Boston. I'm a student currently enrolled in Community College. Now as you can probably gather, I don't drive, nor do I have a driver's license because public transportation is very easily accessible. Not to mention living in such close proximity to the city (and only recently moving out of the middle of it), isn't cheap... nor is owning a car (let alone tuition costs for school). Also, I don't have a passport as I've never left the country. Granted, that's something I will eventually get as I would love to travel the world assuming I came into enough money to allow it.

Now onto the meat and potatoes of this post. *My apologies for the upcoming rant. I expect I'll run in circles a bit.*
Yesterday, a friend and I went to the local liquor store to, obviously, buy some alcohol. When we go to checkout, I am carded. Nothing new... I barely look 18. Now, I only have my Mass state issued identification which shouldn't be a problem right? Well apparently it is. Little did I know, alcohol cannot be purchased without either a driver's license, military ID, Passport or Liquor license in the state of Massachusetts.
Thing is though, I never had a problem buying alcohol in the past. In fact, on the day of my 21st birthday, I bought some beer using the same ID without a problem (among other instances). I've gotten alcoholic beverages at restaurants with it as well. Again, no problem. But this one time, I run into this. We asked when this law was put in place, and the clerk said he didn't know. We also asked if one of our boyfriends came to the store with their driver's license, if they could buy it for us, to which he answered yes, as long as my friend and I weren't in the store with them. Way to make me feel 16 again. Not to sound irrational, but after this, I suppose I won't be surprised if I can't buy my cigarrettes with it anymore.

I certainly won't be joining the military, nor do I see myself driving anytime in the somewhat near future.
So I suppose the simple solution would be to purchase a liquor license for $25. I could also get the passport I may never use for around the same price.

These are my questions and the topic of dicussion I'm proposing:

Do you believe that's fair? Does being able to drive legally, being military or being able to leave the country make one person more capable of buying alcohol or perhaps use it more responsibly than those with only state issued identification? Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so could you share your story? Is it a common law throughout the country?

The only other requirement to purchase alcohol is to be 21. I could understand someone having or needing a liquor license, *if* everyone was required to have one in order to make their purchases, but that's simply not the case. If state issued ID isn't good enough to verify identity, address and *age* when purchasing alcohol, why is it even accepted when getting a job, opening a bank account or enrolling in school? I can't help but feel like this seemingly rediculous law is encroaching on my freedom as a U.S citizen. As if I have to purchase the *option* to buy alcohol, because right now, legally, I just can't do it without paying more money for a second form of identification, of which I have no use for. Well, it would seem I have a use for the liquor license, but why should I have to get one (read: pay), when those who hold the other forms of ID don't have to? In every other situation, my state ID is good. Driving isn't going to change who or how old I am.

Blueyes

Registered Member
Must be state specific because in SC you can have just the ID proving your a resident and can get served. One of my friends has never in her life owned a drivers license because she doesn't drive and has never come across that problem. Now out of state I have no idea. I know she has no problems in Georgia though because she goes there often.

It really is stupid if you think about it because the DMV still has to issue that state ID whether it is a drivers license or not. I think I'd be hunting down that law myself and shoving it in someones face.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
You didn't spend any time talking about the place you tried to buy alcohol at.

You sure this isn't just one situation? I mean, you said you've bought alcohol with it before, so why the rant if this is a rare happening unless it is more common?

R1pperZ

Registered Member
That's some BS.. Here in Utah we only have State liquor stores, since the state wants to control the alcohol purchases (profits) and grocery/convenient stores can only sell beer at a max 3.2% alc.

But I use my State Id, its the same thing as a driver licence except it says State ID instead of Drivers licence..

Whats the difference there both state issued and both have the same copy protection.

That's the cheesiest law I have ever heard of.. (they just want you to pay the 25 for a 'liquor licence'..

The price you have to pay to get a buzz now adays.. :-/

Outlaw403

Registered Member
ya that sucks i think as long as you have some form of ID it should be good because you've never needed a license to drink its not like hunting where you need a license I'd just get the passport so you save money if or when you ever get to travel around the world

Candicecanes

Registered Member
You didn't spend any time talking about the place you tried to buy alcohol at.

You sure this isn't just one situation? I mean, you said you've bought alcohol with it before, so why the rant if this is a rare happening unless it is more common?
I've only bought from 2 liquor stores before this one, multiple times. Whether or not it's common to be refused because of the ID I have wasn't really my point. I was more upset that there is a law like this in place at all.
Thinking about it though, laws are of course meant to be enforced, so even if it's not common now, it very well may be if they decide to enforce it more strictly. Maybe this store is a string of a few that have gotten slapped on the wrists for it and so now they're being cautious. That's not the problem because they're just following the law. But again, it's the law, itself, that I have the problem with in the first place.

Here 's a link to the said law directly on the mass.gov website.
M.G.L. - Chapter 138, Section 34b

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Perhaps it's because a state ID is not recognized by the federal government? A military ID, driver's license, or passport are all acceptable nationwide whereas a state issued ID card doesn't do anything outside of the state it came from.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Over here(UK) you have to be 18 to buy alcohol.
.....but if you are under 21 or suspected of being under 21 you will be asked for ID; so even if you are 20, and you look 20, without the ID you wont get served.

.....In some towns on a Friday and Saturday they push the absolute age upto 21 regardless of the law, so even if you are 20 and have ID to prove your 20 and even when state law says that as you are over 18 you can buy alcohol legally you still wont get served it.

....Some places go as far as asking for ID regardless, there was a recent news article where a 70+ year old was turned away as he had no ID to prove he was over 18.

Candicecanes

Registered Member
Perhaps it's because a state ID is not recognized by the federal government? A military ID, driver's license, or passport are all acceptable nationwide whereas a state issued ID card doesn't do anything outside of the state it came from.
I suppose that would make sense if I was trying to buy liquor out of state, but I'm still in MA using my MA state ID.
Blueeyes and R1pperz both said they or a friend, have had no problem using their state ID in their respective states. That of course means it's not a nationwide law. Doesn't really make sense for one's state ID to be less recognized over another... Especially when making purchases in the state of origin.

Every state has different laws, but this one just seems rediculous and, again, I can't help but feel like it encroaches on my freedom and rights. I am no less capable than someone with a driver's license. Driving doesn't make you a better person or more responsible. Looking at it, one might even consider someone who doesn't drive, more of a contributor to society because they don't own a car that polutes the enviornment and aren't going to be the cause of a deadly automobile accident.

I just don't see the point in having a state ID if it's not even recognized by your own state. On some level, it's similar to having many black or white (or whatever) people positively contributing to society but not letting them vote. You start to feel like there's no point in contributing because you don't have equal rights (ie anytime in the last century or earlier). White people aren't better than black people, especially not because of the color of their skin. People who drive aren't better than those who don't just because they don't or even can't drive. No one deserves to feel like a second class citizen.

***Disclaimer: I understand my comparison between this law and what minorities went through back in the day, and even still are going through, is not the exact same. Their situation is/was alot worse and I am not saying I have it just as bad or worse than that just because I can't buy booze with my card.***