• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Lions cut WR Rogers, No. 2 pick in 2003

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
DETROIT (Sept. 2, 2006) -- Charles Rogers was cut by the Detroit Lions, a mere three years after they drafted the receiver second overall.

His career in Detroit ended with just 36 receptions for 440 yards and four touchdowns along with two broken collarbones and a four-game suspension.

First-year coach Rod Marinelli was unimpressed by Rogers' work ethic and production during training camp, when he was slowed by a sore knee. The new staff also did not have a history with Rogers like team president Matt Millen, who drafted the former Michigan State star and gave him a $14.2 million signing bonus.

Rogers simply wasn't deemed good enough to make Marinelli's team, which is valuing hard work over talent.

"We picked the men that are right for this football team," Marinelli said. "It's behind us. I wish him the very best. We just move on."

Marinelli said Rogers didn't show up the morning of Sept. 2 at the team's practice facility in Allen Park. Marinelli said director of pro personnel Sheldon White left two messages for Rogers and informed his agent, Kevin Poston, of the team's decision.

Poston said he can start finding a new home for the receiver Sept. 3 if he is not picked up on waivers with his current contract.

"After 24 hours, we will start contacting teams and I'm sure teams will be contacting us," Poston told The Associated Press. "He's a 25-year-old receiver with a lot of talent."

A message seeking comment was left on Rogers' cell phone.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DET/9634061

Dr. Fresh

Mmmm.... Lesbians.
The Lions went through a stretch of picking Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, and Mike Williams in a 3 year span all with their first first round draft pick. It's ridiculous. Too bad the Lions couldn't get what they wanted or thought they would be getting out of Rogers. I think an environment change could cause Rogers to produce and be be more effective.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am really mad that he got cut, he had lots of potential, but if he wasn't suspended for doing stupid shit, he was injured. He's still young, and I am sure he's going to help another NFL Team, but between the three wide outs in Detroit he's the one that I would cut as well.

Dr. Fresh

Mmmm.... Lesbians.
Vince Carter said:
I am really mad that he got cut, he had lots of potential, but if he wasn't suspended for doing stupid shit, he was injured. He's still young, and I am sure he's going to help another NFL Team, but between the three wide outs in Detroit he's the one that I would cut as well.
That's the key word, my friend. Remember a couple years back or farther, a GREAT College Quarterback by the name of Ryan Leaf? Yes, I remember him. A huge bust. Rogers has huge potential, maybe he just didn't like the Detroit environment. I'm really rooting for this kid. Hopefully a new team could bring new life.

A

Almost2Clean

It was bound to happen, Rogers hasn't done much his entire NFL career. Good luck to him tho

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
I hope he turns it around. I think if he gets signed by another team and still performs mediocrely then you can label him a bust.

T

The Hitman

He should have been cut he didn't live expectations of the lions and he sucks.