Linux Users

raddmadd

Registered Member
I'm wondering who all on the forum uses Linux.

--For all those who do use it, tell us your distribution and discuss your dislikes and likes of it.

--For those who don't have it, and know what it is, tell us why you don't have it :)

I use Ubuntu 7.10

I like it because it is very configurable and flexible. It has a lot of eye candy (as do the other distributions of course) such as Compiz Fusion. Ubuntu has an easy option to enable Compiz Fusion. (So take that, Vista Aero users who say its too hard to install Compiz :) )

And best of all, its free. We aren't being cheated out of money. I love open source software.

--Also, for the Linux users, maybe tell us what your favorite desktop environment is.

So far I've tried out Gnome and KDE. I didn't really like KDE, because the menus seemed a bit cluttered, so I switched back to Gnome. But that was probably because I'm just used to Gnome.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I've touched GNU/Linux systems before, but I haven't really used one other than for doing a little research. I use Windows XP due to the fact that as well as using it for listening to music and surfing the web, I use it to play games. If I was able to play games on Linux with as little mucking about as possible, I'd probably devote some time to learning how to use it, but until then, I'll be a Windows XP user, and before anyone replys to this post asking why I don't dual boot or use something like VMWare to simulate Windows, I don't dual boot because of the fact I'll just end up using one or the other and Windows will probably be the one being used, and if I virtualise Windows XP to play my games then I might as well just install a copy of Windows XP anyway.

raddmadd

Registered Member
Yeah, thats one of the reasons I'm keeping Windows XP. For gaming. Most of the games I have are only compatible with Windows.

Apparently the drivers ATI supply for Ubuntu are bad, so when I play games in Ubuntu I get a bit of lag.

My drive is partitioned and ready to install Windows XP, to dual boot. I think I want to try out Vista, I heard a lot of bad things about it, however I would like to try it out for myself to see.

Sephy

Forum Drifter
My roommate swicthed OSs every month or so. He uses Lunix and Ubuntu alot. But he always keeps going back. I've seen enough to know that I don't like either.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I recall a website I linked to that pointed out that you should only switch to Linux if you're not looking for Windows without the problems or a Windows replacement without the problems. So for the sake of it, here it is again. Unfortunatly, it's not the one I linked to originally, as that seems to cause 401 Forbidden errors.

Linux != Windows

I have Fedora 7 on a dual- boot with XP. Never liked XP all that much (specially not before the February updates on SP2 that actually makes wifi work acceptably), but I've kept it because games and emulators and so on. And a lot of programs that would only run in windows. So I really didn't have much choice.
But after the latest "please buy our online only authentication OS for a fortune, after paying for numerous Windows OS licences that now also must download gigabytes off the net in order to be remotely safe to use, every time the OS happens to break down for no reason - and btw, if you distribute the bug- fixes in the original package outside the web- authentication, in order to get the OS to run on a computer that doesn't have a net- connection: you support piracy"- thing, I thought I had to take the plunge. So I downloaded the live- image for fedora 7, booted the disk, and installed the OS. Took about ..45 minutes (it didn't ask for something stupid in the middle of the install, either), and it automatically configured the dual- boot, with the chain- loader needed to placate the windows- boot. It also gave me a "automatic partition setup" option, which worked all right. You could choose between gnome and Kde as desktop in this distribution (or install both, and switch).

After that, I spent some time looking at documentation and browsing the net, while the inbuilt bittorrent- client downloaded a bunch of standard packages (could have downloaded them and put them on a cd if I wanted to, or chosen the DVD image distro at the beginning). I also tested Wine. It's not as easy as just installing it, but it did work with the programs I tested. So now it's only the games, really, that makes me use winxp. But when more affordable multi- core processors become available, the reason to keep steering development into specially optimised platforms (to get necessary speed- boosts) instead of on specific libraries, become less useful - so I'm guessing this will change after a while.

But how easy is it to use any linux- distro compared to Windows? It's not too bad, and the desktop looks nicer, really, and has a bunch of really flashy stuff, like the 3d- cube rotation on the desktops, and things like that. But even if you can avoid using any of the command- line tools for a while, you probably will end up having to edit some file, or run a shell for some reason, if the frontend isn't available. And since linux- people who write tutorials and documentation love emacs and "shortcut- keys" for everything, you end up wondering why you don't just have a large terminal window instead. It's also typical that you don't know exactly what to do - you need to know the specific frontend you're supposed to use for most programs, and so on, and that's a bit complicated.

Another problem is that the documentation is written by loads of different people, so they will include different solutions (some might be fully working, but dated). I tried to find out how to get one of my partitions to mount, for example, and I ended up with one solution, but not the one that was imagined you'd use for the graphical frontend... So it's not really as easy as just plugging it in. Not that far off now, compared to last time I tried (Red Hat 8), but still..

And if you compare with the five hours I spent the last time I installed WindowsXP on my computer (with suddenly boot- sectors disappearing and the blue- screens on the boot, and so on), it's not bad at all. And I mean, you do spend a day before your windows boot works and looks acceptable, and all the drivers are installed - and it won't be that hard with fedora. Also, no endless reboots and hangs...And that's a plus.