• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Linux and Security

jayadev

Registered Member
I am no Linux geek. I have a question regarding the security of linux PC's. As we all know in Windows one needs a firewall+antivirus+anti spy etc. to safeguard the PC but do we need such applications in Linux also. I beleieve Linux is safe from all of these attacks.

Thermal

Registered Member
You typically don't need anti-malware software on a linux system, but I would recommend a firewall. You still need to keep up your patches, and the firewall will help protect against open ports. As far as security, its really about the administration of the system. I haven't gotten a virus or malware (outside of cookies) on my windows system in years. I typically don't even have anti-virus on my computer, and use a WinPE disc every few months just to make sure. I don't run as administrator though, and most linux users don't run as root. The average windows users seek user-friendiliness over security, and its why they are attacked the most.

myessence

Registered Member
I using Fedora Core 3 in my PC. I'm not scanvirus but using firewall. Until now safety attack from virus, spy, phising, etc ...

jayadev

Registered Member
Does Fedora or for that matter any Linux ships with in-built firewall or do I have to download a Firewall for Linux? Which one is the best available firewall for any Linux?

Penguin

Registered Member
It might be easier to get a hardware firewall, instead of trying to find a software one. We use a hardware firewall.

jzan

It might be easier to get a hardware firewall, instead of trying to find a software one. We use a hardware firewall.
thats what I use as well, on my other computer. In my opinion, linux isn't much of a security risk

Thermal

Registered Member
thats what I use as well, on my other computer. In my opinion, linux isn't much of a security risk
Hardware firewall is a system deticated to being a firewall, such as a router or proxy.

Most linux distros now adays do offer a software firewall during installation, or can easily be configured afterwards.