• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Linda McMahon "slammed" about WWE past on talk show

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
From The Official Trish Stratus Website | TrishStratus.com, about a MSNBC talk show that spoke about McMahon's WWE past:

http://www.trishstratus.com/news/index.php?news=719
Linda McMahon comments on controversial Trish segment, slammed by MSNBC talk show By Brian / TrishStratus.com Printerfriendly Version · Email Article · Share The infamous March 2001 segment from Raw involving Vince McMahon and Trish Stratus continues to haunt former WWE CEO and U.S. Senate hopeful Linda McMahon.

MSNBC's "Morning Joe" talk show body slammed McMahon this morning for comments she made on last night's ABC "This Week" when asked if she was comfortable seeing her husband force Stratus (who was not mentioned by name) to bark like a dog.

"WWE programming has changed from being TV-14 over the years which that's the time you were talking about was called the "Attitude Era" into now being PG," McMahon explained in the clip. "Content providers are clearly creating scenarios from an entertainment point of view. I think that you either elect to go to a movie or you elect to watch a program, so I'm a strong proponent of first amendment rights."

Watch the "Morning Joe" crew discuss McMahon's comments and WWE profiting off violence towards women below:

http://www.trishstratus.com/news/index.php?news=719#ixzz125nzcbby
------
YouTube - Morning Joe Slams Linda McMahon for Profiting from Violence Against Women!

Last edited:

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I definetly saw this coming, this is not the first time that she has been slammed because of the WWE. Vince and the WWE has done so much for her to just give her a chance at winning the Senate seat. But I think the WWE will be the downfall to her Senate seat, and when that happens maybe WWE will change back to TV-14. :nod:

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I definetly saw this coming, this is not the first time that she has been slammed because of the WWE. Vince and the WWE has done so much for her to just give her a chance at winning the Senate seat. But I think the WWE will be the downfall to her Senate seat, and when that happens maybe WWE will change back to TV-14. :nod:
The part I bolded, I just can't follow that logic. Wouldn't it just merit keeping it PG for years to come until she tries again?

I typically agree with the point the article or interview mentioned, that it's basically a case where Linda was a part of entertainment, just like a movie, and was providing what people wanted. That doesn't mean that she condones mistreatment of women, throwing men off of cages, or hitting people with chairs. Does Martin Scorcese want to murder people? Not to my knowledge. The show's rating was appropriate, so really nothing to worry about.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
Here's the thing, Linda McMahon does have a point. She was doing what was good for business. Sure, a lot of the things they did were controversial, but that's just how the entertainment business works. You sell what you can.

That being said, I still do think she's a hypocrite since she opposes gay marriage and yet she made a shitload of money off the Chuck and Billy angle. But that's just my personal opinion on her.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
It is just wishful thinking that she fails...guess I am pretty selfish but if and when she loses, maybe the WWE will go back to tv -14.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think anyone is surprise with this, and I bet she knew that people would bring it up at some point.

I'm in agreement with generalblue here, I personally believe that there's more chance to get tv-14 back if she does lose. I imagine a lot of people are thinking the same way and hope that she does lose.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I don't think anyone is surprise with this, and I bet she knew that people would bring it up at some point.

I'm in agreement with generalblue here, I personally believe that there's more chance to get tv-14 back if she does lose. I imagine a lot of people are thinking the same way and hope that she does lose.
I'm curious with what you think of my point above, Biz. What if she loses and has wishes to run for political office again? I'd think she'd try to take extra steps outside of the WWE to clean up her image, and then keep the WWE from being too "in your face."

Also, we have to remember that TV-PG isn't around just because of Linda's run for office, right? Isn't it more about the age of WWE's viewing audience?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
The part I bolded, I just can't follow that logic. Wouldn't it just merit keeping it PG for years to come until she tries again?

I typically agree with the point the article or interview mentioned, that it's basically a case where Linda was a part of entertainment, just like a movie, and was providing what people wanted. That doesn't mean that she condones mistreatment of women, throwing men off of cages, or hitting people with chairs. Does Martin Scorcese want to murder people? Not to my knowledge. The show's rating was appropriate, so really nothing to worry about.
I agree with this, good post. She's just a part of the entertainment and that doesn't mean she condones those types of things. I also don't think the rating of TV-PG will change whether she loses or not, I think that is here to stay. Not just because like Unity pointed out she may run for office again, but because of the age of WWE's viewers.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not sure she would want to try and run again if she loses this time around, but I might be wrong in that aspect.

I was listening to The Howard Stern Show on the radio on my way to work, and Jesse Ventura was on there. Howard asked him about Linda and he said that she called him when she was thinking about running, he asked her if she was really sure about this. She replied by saying yes, he then told her that her history in wrestling will come up, and she said that she didn't believe it would.

It was pretty interesting actually.

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I was listening to The Howard Stern Show on the radio on my way to work, and Jesse Ventura was on there. Howard asked her about Linda and he said that she called him when she was thinking about running, he asked her if she was really sure about this. She replied by saying yes, he then told her that her history in wrestling will come up, and she said that she didn't believe it would.
That surprises me to hear that...it's incredibly, incredibly naive to think that the WWE wouldn't be a part of all of this. It's like an elephant in the room, and this is politics after all. While I said that her past with an entertainment corporation doesn't really matter, I don't blame people for asking about it.